Reverse Gear Clunk

ejs

Just noticed that when I put my car in reverse and start backing up there is a clunk, more pronounced when car is cold. There is some play somewhere. Any ideas where to start looking this weekend? Only happens in reverse.

if its excessive it may be your transmission throttle cable that has broken and giving too much line pressure at idle resulting in a jerk. if its just a noise then have someone lie down by the car while you shift and listen for the noise.

• 1 month later...

It was my transmission mounts,not much rubber left on them. Did a seach on how to repair and after seeing how easy they were to replace, ordered them thru Carson Toyota for $58. Two jacksneeded , take off bolts on cross member, replace mount.

The car runs a lot smoother. This is an easy fix that I should have done earlier.

Believe it or not... I had a clunk too. Turns out my lower control arm bushings were shot. Replaced them and when I put it in reverse...no clunk.

But, when I first heard it... I thought it was tranny mounts, too! (do I get a beer, too?)

Yeah, I had that same cluck noise when in reverse and then applying the brakes.... I replaced the Lower Control Arms on my SC4 and it corrected that... Not the same as mounts though..

I don't think you deserve a beer for that, maybe a root beer instead... :cheers:

Check your transmission mounts.

that and the LCA's are the two things that do it. Either are likely a cause as they are both high wear areas. Rule of thumb is that if the tranny mount is bad, time to do ALL the rubber under there, including the bushings for the arms.