Ha! My Auto Repair Wants $1054 To Do Struts!

This is outrageous! the bill breaks down like this for OEM lexus struts, work not being done at lexus dealer.

Parts:

Front------$336

Rear------$250

+7.75%tax= 641.42

Labor:

Front:-----$225

Rear:-----$198

total labor- $423

total for everything $1054.42

The guys on club lexus gave me a link to Hoy Fox toyota...$250+ shipping for all 4 OEM struts. Looks like I'll be doing this one myself, no biggie.

I could understand paying a decent premium since the shop has to get parts from the local lexus dealer...but $641 vs $275 thats plain outrageous. And $400 to put them on, these guys bill at $85/hr so they want 7 hours to put on some struts, LMAO.

so then I just called hoy fox... $250 for struts from the parts department, but somehow magically the price is staying the same as it would be from the lexus dealer here.

instead of $500 labor and $750 parts, they want $250 parts and $1000 labor.

what a bunch of crooks, this is hilarious.

For some reason there can be a huge discrepancy in the cost of something common like struts. When I had my ES300, Lexus wanted about $1200 for parts and labor and another $100 for a damned alignment! I found someone to do parts, labor, alignment, taxes out- the-door for about $750. I didn’t even call Lexus when my GS needed struts. I got a better grade than OEM strut installed, alignment, out-the-door for less than $800. Do these rip-off dealerships/repair shops think people are stupid? Or, is it because we have the good taste to drive Lexus, money must be no object for us?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to replace the shocks on my 1999 GS300 Lexus. Is this a tough job to do. I already replaced my lower ball joints but have stayed away from the shocks do to the coil. Is there a step by step guide on this or do I just do it the hard way. I don't want this to be a whole weekend job. Plus I hear the rear shocks under the back seat.....