Factory 1991 Ls400 Rear Subwoofer

chromiez

• 3 years later...

Hi. You can use the direction from the link above to remove the top brake light housing. Then from there, take out the 10mm bolts (3, if I remember correctly). Unplug the speaker cable connector, and take the whole out. The sub is mounted onto the bracket with the screws upside down, hidden in the sub's surrounding foam. Use your finger and you can feel where the holes for them is at. Hope this can help you out. Oh, by the way, the sub is an 8", not 6" like you said in first place. Which sub are you gonna use to replace it? I'm thinking the Kicker Freeair model for mine.

The link shows a rear brake light and the sub grille as one unit my 1997 LS400 has two separate covers. I'm going to try and remove the grille just like the link showed and I hope it works the same.

I'm removing the sub because I installed 2-12" subs in my trunk and they push the factory sub so hard in the opposite direction it makes a popping sound. So if I remove it, the problem should be fixed. The installers told me I had to remove the seat bottom and back of the rear seat then remove the entire back section to get to the sub. I'd like to skip the removal of the rear seat if at all possible.