Warning Messages Are A Pain

You know, when I installed winter wheels and tires on my IS250, I didn't spring for the $500 for the TPMS, figuring I would tolerate the red logo in the center of the dash and the yellow one on the right side.

Now it is time for an oil change - my first since I bought the car (used) - and there is a flashing display in the center that says "oil maintenance required now." Great. Since I don't plan on going to the Lexus dealer for a $40 - $50 oil change, do I have to tolerate this flashing display for the rest of my car loving life? :cries:

We faced that with a Pontiac Phoenix, that had a cover slide over the odometer when it came time for service, and a Volvo that had a flashing light on the dash every 10K miles that cost $90 to be reset. Our new (1998) Volvo has a service light that comes on and would cost $90 to reset, but at least it goes off after 2 or 3 minutes. The light in my IS250 doesn't go off, it just keeps flashing.

My hope is that the car is smart enough to know when someone has changed the oil, just like it is smart enough to know when someone has filled the tank up, and it automatically resets the Ave Tank Mileage.

Anyone know for sure?

larry

You can reset the oil change light. It's in the owner's manual and I believe it's in a thread in this forum.

Changing the engine oil (U.S.A. only)

To reset the oil change system, follow the procedure below:

1. Turn the engine switch OFF.

2. While pressing the trip meter reset knob (→P. 100), set the engine switch to the

IG-ON mode. Continue to press and hold the knob until the trip meter displays

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=3751

4-3

Thanks for the info. Sometimes it's just hard to find specific topics in the 350 page manual. I haven't been caught in a snowstorm lately, so I haven't taken the time to read the whole thing. ;)

larry

:lol: that's about the only time I read the manual, when I'm stuck in traffic.

I haven't read the entire manual either, but when I want to know something I'll just look for that particular item. Oil changes and stuff fit naturally in the maintenance section. :D

But I guess that's what us moderators are here for, to help if we can.

Thanks for the info. Sometimes it's just hard to find specific topics in the 350 page manual. I haven't been caught in a snowstorm lately, so I haven't taken the time to read the whole thing. ;)

larry

Never Fear, I have the perfect solution, place the manual by your throne as you are reveling in your gradure pick up the manual and before you know it you will have read the whole thing ( I would recommend doing this over several sittings though) ... Sorry for being a little off topic, but I could not resist :cheers:

larry

Never Fear, I have the perfect solution, place the manual by your throne as you are reveling in your gradure pick up the manual and before you know it you will have read the whole thing ( I would recommend doing this over several sittings though) ... Sorry for being a little off topic, but I could not resist :cheers:

:lol::lol::lol:

Great post