Lowering An Rx400h

Has anyone tried to have their RX400h lowered a wee bit? It stands so tall it seems as if it could be lowered a couple of inches and bring it down to what it seems to my eye to be a better height. I don't know much about cars so if anyone can help in answering why it might not be possible or if it would affect the ride too adversely...or just something I am not getting. It just looks too tall.

With most vehicles, lowering the ride height requires replacing the factory springs with shorter versions. These shorter versions are often available in different spring rates, but it is possible for a swap to provide the same ride qualities as OEM. I like the ride height of our RX400h when we traverse steep dips or driveways. Other vehicles may scrape, but the RX has never had this happen, yet.

My Corvette, on the other hand, was lowered just by rotating suspension bolts. I was able to lower it by 1 inch, just by doing this. Unfortunately, the result is that I have to be extra careful when going over dips in the road. Still, the car looks much better to me (less wheel well space above the tire).

Dave

With most vehicles, lowering the ride height requires replacing the factory springs with shorter versions. These shorter versions are often available in different spring rates, but it is possible for a swap to provide the same ride qualities as OEM. I like the ride height of our RX400h when we traverse steep dips or driveways. Other vehicles may scrape, but the RX has never had this happen, yet.

My Corvette, on the other hand, was lowered just by rotating suspension bolts. I was able to lower it by 1 inch, just by doing this. Unfortunately, the result is that I have to be extra careful when going over dips in the road. Still, the car looks much better to me (less wheel well space above the tire).

Dave

Thanks Dave, much appreciated, Rey

Has anyone tried to have their RX400h lowered a wee bit? It stands so tall it seems as if it could be lowered a couple of inches and bring it down to what it seems to my eye to be a better height. I don't know much about cars so if anyone can help in answering why it might not be possible or if it would affect the ride too adversely...or just something I am not getting. It just looks too tall.

below you will find a link to a 40mm lowered RX400 from a german RX400 forum member. double click the pics to enlarge.

he used springs and parts to do this from a german company. if you would like to get more infos on this i think i can get you a link to this companys web site.

http://homepage.mac.com/kheldour/PhotoAlbum5.html

regards

willi

below you will find a link to a 40mm lowered RX400 from a german RX400 forum member. double click the pics to enlarge.

he used springs and parts to do this from a german company. if you would like to get more infos on this i think i can get you a link to this companys web site.

regards

willi

If Lexus would offer the 400h with the adj Air Suspesion like on the 350 you could lower it by .60 at the touch of a button.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Lexus_RX_350/...7-31851405.html

Maybe in 2008... sigh.

regards

willi

Wow, thanks Willi...I love this club! Rey

regards

willi

Hi Willi,

Do you know why that 400h has twin exhausts? Is it a German version?

Regards

Billy

Hi Willi,

Regards

Billy

they like the sound and the look!

they use FOX duplex and DELTA duplex. the one on the pic's is the FOX

regards

willi

Thanks Willi

But I thought one of the attractions of a hybrid was the quietness!!!

Regards

Billy

Hi Willi,

Regards

Billy

regards

willi

Thanks Willi

Regards

Billy

yes billy, i agree fully. if i would find an exhaust system for my RX400 fully reducing the noise oft the engine i would install it!!

but some people cant' live withaut a sporty noise and i understand that. i had a brabus mercedes and i admit that i liked the sound very much.

but my RX400 should be as quite as possible!!!!

Hi Willi,

Regards

Billy

regards

willi

Thanks Willi

Regards

Billy

yes billy, i agree fully. if i would find an exhaust system for my RX400 fully reducing the noise oft the engine i would install it!!

but some people cant' live withaut a sporty noise and i understand that. i had a brabus mercedes and i admit that i liked the sound very much.

Hi Willi,

Regards

Billy

regards

willi

Thanks Willi

Regards

Billy

I agree, the cars that I had before I tried to have them rumble more than stock,but the RX400h should be quiet by design and by principle. The point of a hybrid,at least as I see it, is of trying not to create pollution including noise pollution. Right? I want this car to be as queit as possible. Have a great new year everyone, Rey Bustos

As far as exhaust sound, I wouldn't be opposed to a deep, throaty sound from my RX400h, but I doubt that's likely, based on the overall design of the powertrain, and the lack of performance parts for a luxury hybrid vehicle.

Just making it loud would be a travesty.

Tom

• 11 months later...

regards

willi

that car looks sweet, I wish someone created a spring kit for the rx400h like that. dunno about the dual exhausts, were driving a hybrid not a v8

What about these springs designed for the 330/350? Is there too much weight difference between the 400H and 330/350?

http://www.tte.de/popup/Lexus/cm_lexus_RX3...ringsprings.htm

According to the Lexus USA website, the curb weight difference is:

RX400h AWD (lb/kg): 4,365/1,980

RX350 AWD (lb/kg): 4,090/1,855

My guess is that the difference of 275 lb is significant enough to affect the predicted ride height and the handling of the springs. Imagine a 275 lb person (or two 140 lb people) sitting in your back seat. This definintely affects both ride height and handling of the car.

• 1 month later...

It's January 2008 and I have had my 400h for two years now! Amazing car and I just love it. I have just over 20K miles and average around 25,26 MPG....anyway, I am nixing the idea of lowering my 400h. Lexus of Glendale is a great dealership and I really do trust them....yeah, I know....I'm like that, ya know...trusting. They did tell me that Eiback does make great lowering kits but the service manager strongly suggested that I not lower the 400h. He actually turned down the job to tell me that the ride would suffer and that there might be issues later on even with a mere 1 1/2 inch difference. He was OK about the Toyo tires that I got, since I got the slightly larger 255/55-18" tire...it's within the acceptable range ...anywho. For what it's wort if you're thinking about lowering the ride, get a few professional opinions as I did and I was told to leave it be. It's a beautiful car,odn't mess with that aspect of it. It looks cool in the images that I've seen but I would need to drive a lowered version before I'd change it now. Rey Bustos, happy Lexus owner in L.A.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to call the dealer and ask if they had ever installed any kind of lowering kit. The service advisor said they only install original Lexus parts and would not install aftermarket parts. He said there "could" be warranty issues if something else went wrong with the suspension or something related to the suspension.

I also called Lexus USA and the guy I got was pretty clueless. He had never hear of it being done. I asked about warranty issues and he said there "could" be warranty issues with any non-Lexus parts.

Hey Rey,

I e-mailed www.L-Tunedparts.com ask about the air ride controler for the RX330/350 and see if it will fit RX400h. I live in westcoast Canada and I don't think they even have the air suspension here for the RX330/350. But their sales rep at DataSystems is going to e-mail Japan to see if it is compatible to the RX400h. Another plus, the exhaust systems are only muffler sections which are the same on the RX400h as to the non-hybrid models, and they are from TRD, and TOM's Racing.

Andy

Thanks, I decided I don't want to mess with the nice ride and just leave it the height that it is. With the slightly larger tires the car looks really good now. But keep leaving suggestions for others! I got my front lip and am going to have it put on soon so keep looking for me to post pictures of my new front end! Rey