Program A New Smart Key - Procedure?

98OysterES300

Has to be done by the dealer unfortunately...you need the scan tool.

Are you sure ... I have run across a few eBay auctions, and they CLAIM to offer programming instructions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-ES350-...sspagenameZWD1V

The reason I ask is because in addition to my 98 ES300, I have an 07 Camry XLE w/ the smart key.

I was thinking of getting the ES350 Smart Key (It's all I can find on the net for a reasonable price) ... I am almost positive that it will work, as the FCC ID & IC #s are the same across the IS/GS/ES & camry Smart Keys!

FCC ID: HYQ14AAB

IC: 1551A-14AAB

Any input would be appreciated.

--Antonio

The instructions don't work, believe me I tried it on the Prius. You need the Toyota scan tool.

OK ... then I better rethink whether I really need the 3rd key ... I'm sure they'll want a full hour of labor!

I hate how the fob was designed... I really want a 3rd key for valet ... Taking out the actual key from the fob results in there being no place for a key ring, and I don't want the valet to loose the key because they can't hang it on their little key board or whatever ... plus if i was to get a third smart key ... I wouldn't have to get the metal key cut, and therefore if I lock everything up w/ my original key & give them the new fob w/ a blank key ... they can't get int othe glove box or the trunk

can you think of a better alternative?

No, thats the drawback of the smart key system. I can't imagine that the Lexus key would be less than thw Toyota key though...

As for labor, call around dealers charge different amounts. I've heard as high as $150 and as low as $30 to program a key. You can program the remote to unlock the doors manually, its the engine transponder the dealer has to do.

No, thats the drawback of the smart key system. I can't imagine that the Lexus key would be less than thw Toyota key though...

As for labor, call around dealers charge different amounts. I've heard as high as $150 and as low as $30 to program a key. You can program the remote to unlock the doors manually, its the engine transponder the dealer has to do.

Not Brand New from the dealership it isn't ... on eBay I can only find the ES/IS/GS Smart Keys ... nothing for the Camry though ... but in my past experience w/ fobs ... if the FCC IDs match ... the fobs have always worked ... so since the camry's id match's the ones for the ES/IS/GS .. my assumption is that it will work as well.

I suspect that Denso just changed the outer shell of the Lexus fob to make it more attractive & "luxurious" looking.

I have a friend at a lexus dealership that can get me lexus parts @ 10% over dealer cost ... I should try him out to see how much it would really cost me for a BRAND NEW ES350 smart key instead of playing around with eBay.

Ahh... I just had another idea ... I bet i can order just a key blank ONLY from the toyota dealership ... that way I can give my smart key to a valet, but just clip it onto a blank, uncut key, so that I can attach it to a keychain so it won;t get lost ... hmm... I think i'll have to investigate this route as well ... what ever is a better value is what i'll do! ... it would be nice to have a 3rd key though ...

Ahh... I just had another idea ... I bet i can order just a key blank ONLY from the toyota dealership ... that way I can give my smart key to a valet, but just clip it onto a blank, uncut key, so that I can attach it to a keychain so it won;t get lost ... hmm... I think i'll have to investigate this route as well ... what ever is a better value is what i'll do! ... it would be nice to have a 3rd key though ...

That is a really good idea!

the computer for the ES 350 can only support 2 smart keys at this point. You cannot program anymore then that.

Are you sure? The computer in the Prius will support 4. I can't believe Toyota's computer would support more keys than Lexus' computer.