Use It Or Lose It?

TexasLexus94

My '94 LS is my Sunday pride and joy, but because I don't drive it often, it seems that the hidden electronics electrical drag causes my battery to run down quite surprisingly. All the way to where it actually went dead once. So I installed a brand new premium battery, and assumed that it would solve the problem. However, my new mechanic recently ran a diagnostic on the whole car, and said the only thing questionable about the system was the low battery. He said the alternator and stuff looked OK. Since I work out of town a lot, I guess I'm unable to run-run the Lexus to allow for a full recharge of the battery.

So my question is-I have a battery charger with a 2 amp/10 amp setting, and am wondering if I should recharge the battery occasionally, and the best way to do this. I don't want to fry the battery, but I'd like to go out of town without finding the battery dead upon return. Thanks for your help.

Texas, hood lights, glove box lights, etc., are notorious for sticking and draining batteries "discretely." You should not have any enough battery discharge in a week to affect starting. That being said, there are a number of decent 2 amp chargers avalable that would suffice.

Tom

Battery tenders are old school ( no offense as i have one)

I have a version of the cteck from Canadian tire and it is amazing.

It reads the battery and checks to see if it is sulfated on the lead plates and will emit large pulse charges to remove the sulphur on the plates that reduce charging capabilities. It also tests the alternator and shows the battery in volts and percentage of it maximum charge level on a digital display.

0111513E_450_CC_4df3d.jpg

It does not show the one i have as it is only available from Canadian tire.

Mine is also cheaper than the cteck one but with all the same features.

I personally like mine as it will regulate the charge by itself to maximize the battery under all conditions. Also i can replace it real easy at CT if i need to .

I also have a better one than the one pictured as it does 2 amp, 10- 30 amp and 60 amp start for choices.

Battery tenders are old school ( no offense as i have one)

I have a version of the cteck from Canadian tire and it is amazing.

It reads the battery and checks to see if it is sulfated on the lead plates and will emit large pulse charges to remove the sulphur on the plates that reduce charging capabilities. It also tests the alternator and shows the battery in volts and percentage of it maximum charge level on a digital display.

0111513E_450_CC_4df3d.jpg

S:

How much is this unit worth in round numbers?

Thanks