Performance Rating

The01Cav

Hey all I'm new here my name is Larry, I'm lookin into gettin a Is300 to make a serious upgrade from my 01 Cavalier. I was just wondering what the performance ratings are on a stock IS300. top speed, quater mile times, horsepower. It was either this or a WRX but I think that the IS would be a much better way to go. Is there alot of performance products avalible for these cars? I would prolly end up gettin a auto so does anyone make a shift kit or some sort of tuning to reprogram the trans to build up line pressure. I hope to get some responses back and thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all I'm new here my name is Larry, I'm lookin into gettin a Is300 to make a serious upgrade from my 01 Cavalier. I was just wondering what the performance ratings are on a stock IS300. top speed, quater mile times, horsepower. It was either this or a WRX but I think that the IS would be a much better way to go. Is there alot of performance products avalible for these cars? I would prolly end up gettin a auto so does anyone make a shift kit or some sort of tuning to reprogram the trans to build up line pressure. I hope to get some responses back and thanks in advance!

This is approximate:

HP = 218

0-60 manual 6.5-7.0 seconds

0-60 auto 7.5 seconds

Top speed - 143mph

MPG: 20-24

IS versus WRX is asked a lot..

I'll give you my .02 cents since I just went through the same comparison and ended up with an IS.

First of all, there is no comparison. The cars are absolutely and completely different from the ground up. So I'll say in advance it really depends on what you want.

I drove an '07 and '04 WRK, and while impressed with the performance, it was not quite what I expected. The car suffers from turbo lag so don't expect to feel it kick in until about 35mph. The seats were ok, just ok, not that comfy. Interior again wasn't dissapointing but neither was it "wow". The hood scoop is a little over the top and my wife hated it for that reason. In my opinion the car feels heavy. I contribute that to the AWD weight more than anything. It is great for handling, but again, in my opinion, its not an easy car to drive as a commuter. Oh, and it has a terrible blind spot.

On to the IS. First one we drove, we knew this was the car for us. While the performance wasn't quite what the WRX offered, the enterior was miles ahead in comfort, road feel was excellent, and the auto tranny shifted like a dream. The HID lights are incredible. This car is small, so beware. The back seats are great for kids, but adults will be cramped. My only real gripe is the factory CD player went out right after I bought it. This is very common and seems to be the only common flaw in these cars.

Conclusion:

Both cars are tried and true sport sedans from reputable manufacturers. Lexus has the upper hand in steering response, comfort, options, and longevity. Subaru has AWD, turbo, and lots of street apeal. Don't get me wrong, subies are great. My 96 Outback has 167k miles, but I believe that boosting the WRX will significantly decrease engine life especially if it is driven like it is meant to be. On the other hand, the is300 engine is overbuilt to the point of insanity (my opinion) making it a great candidate for moderate modifications while maintaining the integrity of the engine. If you want balls to the wall, die hard, boosted performance, street racer looks, and AWD, go for the Suby. If you want a refined automobile that will impress just about anyone and last for many years, go for the Lexus.

Final thoughts:

Get snow tires for the is300.

*yes, there are many performance parts available for the IS, however, I think you will hit a wall after doing intake, exhaust, and possibly the exhaust cam gear unless you want to fork over $$$ to boost.

Check out www.my.is, there are some fine products there.

Hope this helps.

wow dave, i think your the first person to actually say a Lexus has more road feel than some other car...lol

i can think of a few more flaws in the IS but just small gripes. Careful with the small cup holders!!

road feel was excellent

Thanks for all the info, I really seem to want something with a lil more luxury, my car list as follows through the years, 86 pontiac sunbird, 89 Chevy beretta Gt, 90 Chevy beretta indy, 92 Chevy Cavalier VL, 01 Chevy Cavalier base, it's time for something thats got some comfort. Also the Cd problem is fine as I would be transplanting my audio system over.

my 2002 is300 can do much better then 7.5 0-60.... if you take off the trac control, and put the ect on that 3.0 liter can make 6 with the right foot work on the gas pedel (as the tranny has terrible shift points if you try balls to the wall)

practice where to allow the shift of the car and your is can become a real screamer for a stock lux

Do they make any sort of shift kit be it external or with actually changing the valve body? For my cavalier b&m makes what called a shift plus so I can have firmer shifts when I want but I can turn it off and go back to stock shifting as well.

not positive on that because all ive looked up was valve body change for when turbo will be put in, and a comp mod that allows you to change

all the internals (sensor reading wise) but thats kinda expensive at 306 bucks for it.... well worth every dime im sure, but before buying asking

a company if there product will do what you ask on your car might be the wise choice

aim me if you want