Winter Tires For '02 Ls430

lexuschic

I recently bought an '02 LS430. I live in WI and have GOT to get some winter tires on the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I was going to go with Blizzac Revo's, but someone just told me they don't wear well. Someone else recommended Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. I've never heard of these.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

I recently bought an '02 LS430. I live in WI and have GOT to get some winter tires on the car.

I was going to go with Blizzac Revo's, but someone just told me they don't wear well. Someone else recommended Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. I've never heard of these.

These would be my choice : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=0

And my second choice : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=3

Any "real" snow tires with the mountain/snowflake logo will probably work well. Most all season tires and some snow tires are labeled "M+S" (mud & snow) but they are no substitute for dedicated snow tires with the mountain/snowflake logo.

We buy four extra wheels and four snow tires when we buy a car -- we aim to keep a car 10 - 14 years so we spread the extra cost over quite a few years.

Snow tires need a lot of tread to be effective in deep snow -- forget about using them until they wear down to 2/32 or 3/32 of an inch like summer tires. Snow tires should be considered worn out by the time the tread reaches 6/32 of an inch - at a very minimum.

We usually get four winters (3,000 - 4000 miles per year) from a set of snow tires by mounting them around Thanksgiving and taking them off by the beginning of Spring.

The Blizzaks we currently use have been the most satifactory snow tires we have tried. Wonderful traction on ice and snow and quieter at speed than any other true snow tire we have used. But other true snow tires might work equally well.

Here is an article from Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpa...hid=116#howlong

Select the "Snow" mode transmission setting on your LS430 when driving on snow or ice -- it makes a huge difference.

And, on the next snowy day, take your car to an empty parking lot and drive like hell so you learn how VSC

works to automatically pull you out of a skid and put you back on course. VSC is absolutely amazing -- the best safety invention since ABS.

Hi, new member here, my 1st post. I'm next door in MN, and just got my new snows on this week, the 1st thing I did after I bought my car last week (a 2000 LS400) I went with Michelin this time, though my last couple vehicles I have had Blizzaks. During the 1st 25-30% of the tread life (maybe 1-2 seasons) there aren't many if any tires better, but once you get past that point, their grip becomes no better than an average snow tire, and worse than other "premium" tires in the same price range as the Blizzak goes for.

Haven't had any snow yet to test them out in, but made the purchase on advice from others that have been happy with them. Have to say that I am happy with them on dry pavement, no issues to speak of, quiet enought for snow tires, and paid $540 out the door for a set mounted, balanced and road warranty from Costco.

I agree that you should consider getting a 2nd set of rims for them, as getting them mounted and unmounted twice a year tends to do bad things to the bead. After doing some checking at local bone yards, the price they want for factory wheels is comparable to the price for brand new aftermarkets. The best price I found was $95 each used, though someone said they had a line on aftermarket steel rims in the $50-55 range, plus hubcaps if I wanted (yes, thank you). So.. that comes out to about 3/4ths the price of used Lexus rims, a little less than that for new aftermarket.

Fortunately, I am going to be buying new summer tires next year, and at that point I can decide how I want to go, I might get lucky and find some factory rims cheaper than I've found so far, but I'm not counting on it. I'll probably just go with new aftermarket rims, we'll have to see what I find.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Please disregard my earlier post - it has been a while since I have added a post to this site and I got confused. Anyway, on to winter tires. I have been a winter tire user for about 7 years now and am a firm believer in them. I live in MSP where we get a fair amount of snow and ice (although not as much as 30 years ago). I have had very good experiences with Yokohamas (on Dodge Neon) and more recently with Winterforce (on two difference LSs). I get a 2nd set of wheels so when it comes time to switch out the tires I don't have to deal with mounting/demounting the tires. I bought the Yokohamas through Tirerack and the Winterforce at a local Firestone Dealer. The Winterforce are considerably cheaper than say Blizzacs but I have been very impressed with their traction through ice and snow. Can recommend Winterforce to anyone.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 02 LS430 and use Nokian tires. I live in the mountains of WV and these tires have been excellent. I had read expert reviews on these tires before I started using them. They are made in Finland and are used under extreme conditions.