Engine Bay Cleaning

Whats the best way of attack to clean the engine bay. Before i do any maintenence I my car, I'd like to hear your idea's on cleaning it ( cleaning it meaning detailing it ) Removing mostly dust and alittle grease down low!

Cheers

Jafa

:P

It's really an easy 45-60 minute task every 2-3 months, the benefits are to increase the resale value of the vehicle and also highlight any leaks that can be rectified prior to becoming a major service repair.A correctly detailed vehicle looks impeccable, both the exterior and interior of the vehicle, why not extend the same standard to the engine compartment?

Cleaning Methodology:

•Remove any excess debris, leaves and etc from the hood, grille or air-vent openings

•Spray electrical connectors with WD40 which repels moisture / water (avoid spraying on belts)

•Use cling-film or Saran wrap elastic covers to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.

•This will not guarantee that you won’t cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.

•Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.

•Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) or a citrus-based general cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) or a solvent free, water based cleaner (Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner) - http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.

•Enable the cleaner to work by allowing dwell time (but do not allow to completely dry)

•Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water before drying with a cloth.

•For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)

•When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light (garden type) pressure water hose.

•Use the blower side of a vacuum (avoid area that may be sensitive to a forced air flow) or allow the engine compartment to air dry and then thoroughly wipe down all accessible surfaces and then remove cling-film or aluminium foil.

•When everything is dry apply a vinyl/rubber protectant to hoses, shields and wires, and wipe engine parts with CD2 Engine Detailer or 303 Aerospace Protectarant

•Wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and apply a wax/sealant protection to painted surfaces.

Note- Apply a vinyl dressing to hoses etc (no diethyl silicone fluid based dressings (DS) should be applied in the engine compartment. Use only water based polydimethalsiloxane (PDS) dressings and do not directly spray on to engine parts, spray a cloth and wipe contains no Clean Air Act Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP) nor is it a RCRA hazardous waste in and of itself when disposed.

I always keep a two inch wide paint brush uner the hood of all my vehicles,, every time the car is cleaned the under hood area also is cleaned,, the paint brush helps for those tight areas and removing dust from the ususal corners that a towel and fingers can't seem to get into,,

have found for a really dirty engine there are some good cleaners at the local auto store,, just be careful of the exterior painted-waxed surfaces,,

Engine cleaning shouldn't take no more than 15mins tops!

1. Start engine and warm up.

2. Spray degreaser liberally (Not WD-40)

3. Let degreaser work ~2 mins

4. Agitate heavily soiled areas with brush

5. Power wash (~1500psi and less. Much safer IMO from 1 meter away than 'flooding' with hose. Water out of PW is comprised of a lot of air)

6. Close hood (evaporate the majority of water), and continue with the rest of detail (Exterior/interior)

7. When done everything else, open the hood, and wipe up remaining isolated puddles of water.

8. Spray dressing, and wipedown.

**Disclaimer**

There are probably a million ways to wash your engine-- and the technique will differ from person to person.

To be honest, unless your car is 20 years old, you'll be safe with the pressure from the hosehold hose. New engine compartments are built to withstand water, just as long as it isn't pressure washed (I do it, but you gotta be careful, keep a good distance) and concentrate the stream too long on one place, you should be fine. Obviously, take extra care around the fuses/battery/starter/alternator. Make sure the engine is warm before you start. Once you're finished, close the hood, and come back later to wipe up stray puddles of water. That easy.

Here's a video clip that may help:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/cleaning_motor.cfm

Good luck

--Gabe