Extended Warranty

has anyone bought an extended warranty and/or tire warranty?

is it worth it.?how much should they cost?

a "7 year" warranty is really only 3 years, since the original is 4 years.

i'd like some advice before i see the man with my final check.

:(

I think all extended warranties are just scams to get more money out of the customer. Maybe you would need it for a ford or gm but not a great qualit ycar like lexus, bmw, toyota, honda..etc.

Regards,

i agree that it's a scam, but my ast experience with toyota,(1994 camry) i had the warranty, and it seemed that everything on the car electronic that could go wrong did, and i sure got my monies worth. on my present car 2001 acura tl. no waranty andnot a minutes worth of probles.

I got such a "great deal" that I bought it (or should I say, fell for it :chairshot: ), and then I got home and wifey gave me the good sense that I should have had in the first place. In Illinois, you have 30 days to get a full refund, so I did go and get it.

In the interim, see if you can get a prorated refund on your extended warranty. We bought one for our Volvo, and boy, we really needed it, and used it - but the warranty was to 150K miles.

On the Lexus, you have a 50K warranty bumper to bumper, and isn't it 70K on the drivetrain? So what does that leave you with for a warranty on your Lexus that you're paying $2K for? Not worth it at all, no matter how hard they try to sell you.

larry

I got such a "great deal" that I bought it (or should I say, fell for it :chairshot: ), and then I got home and wifey gave me the good sense that I should have had in the first place. In Illinois, you have 30 days to get a full refund, so I did go and get it.

In the interim, see if you can get a prorated refund on your extended warranty. We bought one for our Volvo, and boy, we really needed it, and used it - but the warranty was to 150K miles.

On the Lexus, you have a 50K warranty bumper to bumper, and isn't it 70K on the drivetrain? So what does that leave you with for a warranty on your Lexus that you're paying $2K for? Not worth it at all, no matter how hard they try to sell you.

larry

thanks. i haven't bought the policy. i was just wondering about it, since it will be part of the standard closing pitch at payment time.

has anyone bought an extended warranty and/or tire warranty?

is it worth it.?how much should they cost?

a "7 year" warranty is really only 3 years, since the original is 4 years.

i'd like some advice before i see the man with my final check.

:(

This can be a good deal, but it's on a case-by-case basis.

If you don't keep your cars that long, or if you keep the miles low,

this would not be for you.

It also depends on the vehile's reputation for reliability.

Personally, if the car is purchased new, I tend to keep them for a long time.

Also, I drive the heck out of them.... 30,000 or more miles a year.

The Lexus 7 yr Extended gives the option of 7/75,000 or 7/100,000.

I could use the extension to 100,000, but would most likely only pay for 150,000 mile coverage or more.

I keep cars 12+ years and put a lot of miles on. I have experience paying for the repair of today's space shuttle type electronics. So I bought the extended warranty, even though I usually don't. It must be worth something at resale time.

Yea. it all depends how long you hold cars on average. As well what year and how old the car is. On average the newer cars have newer technology in them to make them last longer but otherwise on older or not so newer cars, an extended warranty might be an okay idea.

Hope you enjoy your car, it will be worth it though when you try to sell it afterwords :))

Regards,

Daniel