Chrome Wheels

Shame on Lexus! Just placed an order on a 460 level 2 pkg hoping to add the optional chrome (painted) rims and higher grade tire. The dealer tells me there are no options at this point. They said wait until spring then we can outfit your 460 with what is offered. Then they say chrome wheels wont be offered until summer. I would like chrome rims. They dont collect as much dirt not to mention the difference in the look. Who doesnt like the look of chome, well I guess Lexus! There is a chrome strip on the side of the car why not chrome rims! Can anyone help with my situation. The car will be here in Dec. Does anyone know if the hard drive can load self recorded mp3s or movies. The dealer told me only store bought cds can be loaded?

Shame on Lexus! Just placed an order on a 460 level 2 pkg hoping to add the optional chrome (painted) rims and higher grade tire. The dealer tells me there are no options at this point. They said wait until spring then we can outfit your 460 with what is offered. Then they say chrome wheels wont be offered until summer. I would like chrome rims. They dont collect as much dirt not to mention the difference in the look. Who doesnt like the look of chome, well I guess Lexus! There is a chrome strip on the side of the car why not chrome rims! Can anyone help with my situation. The car will be here in Dec. Does anyone know if the hard drive can load self recorded mp3s or movies. The dealer told me only store bought cds can be loaded?

When I picked up my LS460 a few weeks back, the dealer told me that they will be offering the same wheel that is on the LS now except in chrome.

I was told spring but am looking around to see if there are some other quality wheel makers. If anyone finds alternatives, please post them in this thread

It is extremely hard to get OEM chrome wheels from Lexus on the east coast. There are however plenty of companies who will chrome rims aftermarket.

Its not just Lexus, BMW and Mercedes have no factory chrome options either. Chrome wheels are out of fashion right now.

It is extremely hard to get OEM chrome wheels from Lexus on the east coast. There are however plenty of companies who will chrome rims aftermarket.

Its not just Lexus, BMW and Mercedes have no factory chrome options either. Chrome wheels are out of fashion right now.

I agree. When you search the internet, there is no shrotage of wheels for the LS460. The hard choice is which as there are so many. Living on the east coast you have only pictures to look at as there is little here. Jacksonville, Florida is not known to be like L.A.

I agree. When you search the internet, there is no shrotage of wheels for the LS460. The hard choice is which as there are so many. Living on the east coast you have only pictures to look at as there is little here. Jacksonville, Florida is not known to be like L.A.

I understand, however the Charleston Lexus dealer is telling me that aftermarket wheels will not work on the 460 because of the sensors, tolerance and clearence. They are also concerned about warranty issues. They are basically telling me I have to wait for Lexus. I thought that was strange because I put chrome aftermarkets on my 06 RX and have not had any problems.

I understand, however the Charleston Lexus dealer is telling me that aftermarket wheels will not work on the 460 because of the sensors, tolerance and clearence. They are also concerned about warranty issues. They are basically telling me I have to wait for Lexus. I thought that was strange because I put chrome aftermarkets on my 06 RX and have not had any problems.

There are differences in the LS' wheels that make aftermarket wheels difficult, several high end wheel makers are working on it. You can however have the wheels you have chromed, or buy aftermarket chrome take-offs.

the touring package through lexus has 19 inch chrome wheels on the ls460l.

first LS i followed a few days ago. white on chrome wheels. looked nice, i did however notice that the wheels arent very wide at all. it would have looked way better if they put some wider wheels on like on a 7 series. just my opinion though. SW thats quite a wide generalization that chrome is out of style. something tells me it wont be going anywhere for a while.

Tire pressure monitoring system

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=44

Because proper fitment of the sensor/transmitter to the wheel is so crucial, The Tire Rack has been working with wheel manufacturers to develop and supply aftermarket alloy wheels that properly accommodate direct tire pressure monitoring system sensors/transmitters.

SW thats quite a wide generalization that chrome is out of style. something tells me it wont be going anywhere for a while.

Why do you think very few manufacturers of high end luxury sedans offer chrome wheel options nowadays?

The wide tires may have improved the stance, but they would have roughened the ride and increased road noise.

I PURCHASED MY 460 ON 10/26/06. I PLACED AN ORDER FOR 20 INCH WHEELS MADE BY ZENNETTI. THEY LOOK GOOD, PAINTED BLACK FACE WITH A CHROME LIP STAGGERED FIT. DEALER SAID NO WARRANTY ISSUES. I ALSO ORDERED THE FACTORY RIMS IN CHROME FOR CALIFORNIA $850 + $210 FOR SHIPPING. LOVE THE CAR. ACTUALLY TRADED A BENZ S CLASS FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL GODESS.

SW thats quite a wide generalization that chrome is out of style. something tells me it wont be going anywhere for a while.

Why do you think very few manufacturers of high end luxury sedans offer chrome wheel options nowadays?

The wide tires may have improved the stance, but they would have roughened the ride and increased road noise.

obviously trends are different in washington dc than orange county. most dealers here have racks of stock chrome wheels. the majority of showroom cars have chrome rims also. chrome is more aftermarket than factory these days, that doesn't mean its out of style.

If you'd read my posts you'd see that I've often talked about the fact that chrome wheels are far more popular in CA than in the rest of the country. They're popular in Florida and Texas too, but not as much as CA. Do a search for chrome wheel companies, 95% of the companies you come up with will be out of CA. CA, FL, and TX however are only 3 states out of 50. Try and find a luxury car in IL, or NC, or PA, or OH, or CO with chrome wheels. So, my opinions holds steady that on the whole chrome wheels are out of fashion right now.

u see fewer luxury cars outside of CA & FL. also just to point it out, most states that have snowy winters have less chrome wheels on cars, like the states u mentioned. im sure u can see where im going with that. sure there are exceptions but where are there not exceptions?

Thats not true at all, every other car here is a luxury car, same is true in NJ, northern VA, Around philly, certainly areas out around NYC like CT. As long as you're near cities that are centers of wealth you see luxury cars.

My point is chrome wheels being popular in CA IS the exception. They're really not popular in most parts of the country. CA has snowy winters too, depending on where you are. There's not much snow in NC...

orange county is south, sunny nearly year round, chrome=abundant, pretty much every car is a luxury car here, or at least in my area.

I know where orange county is. Orange county is not however an adequate sample of the entire country's population. FAR from it.