Honda Civic Repair

nc211

My wife's 2003 Honda Civic EX has 81k miles on it, and is ready for some maintance time in the garage. She needs new outter tie rods, rotors turned, pads, etc.. I can handle the parts and such, and have already ordered them from parts.com. But, she really needs to have the transmission fluid drained and filled. And seeing as how easy it is for the LS, I refuse to pay Mieneke $125 to do it, especially with non-honda fluid. BUT, I can't seem to find a web forum like this one for her car, so I can ask some questions. Every forum I've found is for turning a Honda Civic into a Civil Neighborhood Nightmare with F14 exhuast, stereos, turbos, etc... Not just a basic, owners club of general maintance advice.

I need to learn how much fluid comes out with the drain and fill, where the drain bolt is, that sort of stuff. I found this info below...but knowing what I know about over filling, I'm thinking this kid is probably on his 3rd tranny by now.

"9. Now get someone to pour in the tranny fluid from the top wile you go under your car and make sure it’s not leaking out. When the tranny fluid starts coming back out from the filler hole, that means the tranny is full. You can now stop pouring the fluid, take the hose out and reinstall the filler bolt."

So, anyone have any advice on to where I could find some helpful information?

I tried faqfarm, but no luck. I think I remember someone posting up a link to a library source for car maintance in general??

By the way...after 2 hours of reading about how to tweak a honda civic...god am I glad I don't own one. Geezzz...these guys are amazing with what they can do to those cars!

Thanks fellas!

Call Tao Auto in Raleigh, phone 832-0118. They specialize in Hondas and have been in business here for more than twenty years. When my daughter was a kid back in 1991, I bought her a 1986 CRX as her first car and they took care of some of the repairs that I couldn't or wouldn't do. They also answered a lot of my questions and didn't seem to mind giving me free advice. Indicate that you've been recommended to them by a former customer and that you're willing to bring the car to them for anything that you can't do. They may also be willing to recommend a website or two that can help you.

Let me know if this solves your issue....

this may help with something

step 1. Loosen the drain plug

step 2. Pull it out

step 3. Let that stinky junk drain out

step 4. Wipe off the drain plug magnet

step 5. Tighten the plug back it

step 6. Refill the trans through the fill hole on top of the tranny, or the VSS.

It should be appx 3 qts, only use honda ATF.

i got it off a honda forum http://www.honda-tech.com/

TTTTAAAAAAOOOOOO!!!!

I've blown speakers from their ad on the radio! Thanks RXn'NC... I'll give them a call! What I'm really after is a pdf. on the procedure. My wife says "it's easy"...aka...."please screw it up so I can get an Audi". So, I have to be careful on this one.

Rx330, that sounds about right. I think what I'll do is find the drain plug, drain it out, pour a few liters in to flush it out, then go by the dipstick readings until I get it right. Not to hack at honda, but a lawn mower is a lawn mower.

http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html

i knew i had saved this link. i can't remember who posted it up originally a few months ago, but thanks!!

I think it was under the tag "i should be beaten for not sharing this earlier" or something to that effect..