90000 Service

Canopy

My 2000 LS400 has now reached 90000 miles and is due for servicing. I know it's the big dreaded one. What I don't know is what is required and what you all would recommend along with the required service.

Is there a list of what should be replaced and/or serviced which can be published on this site?

What else would you recommend? (Water pump, etc.)

I also have a 2000 LS400 although I am a year or two away from 90,000 miles. Your maintenance manual has detailed information about what is needed at 90K so I am not going to rehash what is documented in it. If you do not have a maintenance manual, you can get one from your Lexus dealer.

The 2000 LS400 requires less frequent maintenance than earlier models. For example, the recommended change interval for spark plugs is 120,000 miles.

While some people seem tempted to "over maintain" a car, I think the key to making a car last a long time is to consistently follow the "normal" service recommendations of the manufacturer and to fix things as soon as they break.

I would also clean the Throtle Body, lubricate the door hinges with white lithium grease, not with WD 40. Take the battery out and clean the battery plate and coat the bolt with anti-rust solution also clean the MAF Sensor to keep it in top shape. Water Pump unless leaking from the weep hole is not an issue yet. Replace the coolant cap, can save an overheat later on, and replace the gas cap gasket( if you did not replace at 60,000) and lubricate it with petroleum jelly to avoid it breaking up and dumping your fuel vapor to the outside thus making your gas mileage drop. You can replace the air filter for an K & N filter and get the engine to work with less restriction than the OEM filter feeling it more powerfull and probably better MPG.

My 1998 LS Manual recommends this:

Replace: Engine Oil and Filter, Timing Belt, Air Filter, Coolant, Brake Fluid, AC filter, Rotate Tires road Test the car.

Inspect: Drive Belts, Fuel Lines and Connections, Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses,

Fuel Tank Band, Rack and Pinion Assy for Leakage, Ball Joints and Dust Covers Drive Shaft Boots, Body

Fuel Tank Gasket, Exahust Pipes and Mounting, Brakes, Linings, Discs Drums, Lines Hoses, Steering Linkages

Replace Transmission and Differential Oil, Inspect body/Chasis nuts and bolts.

This is from My Lexus Owners Manual.

C.PR

My 2000 LS400 has now reached 90000 miles and is due for servicing. I know it's the big dreaded one. What I don't know is what is required and what you all would recommend along with the required service.

Is there a list of what should be replaced and/or serviced which can be published on this site?

What else would you recommend? (Water pump, etc.)

Although they may look the same, the maintenance requirements of the 2000 LS400 are a little different than the 98-99 LS400. The specific requirements can be found in the 2000 LS400 maintenance manual.

Did something change in the design of the 2000s that prompted the service schedule difference?

I would love for you to post which are the differences, we already have the 1998 90,000 schedule posted, just post what is different. I believe the reason of the post is because he does not have the manual for some reason. I know mine did not have it so I had to order it, so I had to the same to obtain the spare keys.

C.PR

Although they may look the same, the maintenance requirements of the 2000 LS400 are a little different than the 98-99 LS400. The specific requirements can be found in the 2000 LS400 maintenance manual.

I am not an expert on the maintenance requirements for all model years of the LS400 but do know about a few revisions to the maintenance requirements during the 98-00 model years. I suggest that each LS owner obtain a maintenance manual for his specific model year and read it. This forum is sometimes very helpful but it is better to get reliable information from the manufacturer's maintenance manual than to rely on heresay.