Trac Light

I have a '99 ES 300 with about 85K mi. Recently, the Trac light and Check Engine light came on simultaneously while I was doing about 65mph. Just cruising. I took it to my mechanic and his computer gave him an indication of emissions. He said that 90% of the time it's caused by venting or loose gas cap. He reset my computer, both lights went off and I installed a new cap...made sure it clicked when tightening. All was well for about 300 miles or so but now both lights are on again. Any ideas or recommendations? I don't want to go to the Lexus dealer. Thanks!

Like your Lexus mechanic said, the problem could very well be emissions-related, but it's obvious here that it has nothing to do with the gas cap. I'm betting that it's your charcoal canister that is running bad, causing the CEL and TRAC OFF lights to go on. This happened as well to my ES, same scenario while cruising along a highway.

yep cannister is most common, get it changed soon before you need the vacuum switching valve as well (if not already) up near the air cleaner.

just for fun i'd also make sure the vacuum lines at the vsv (near air filter) are in place. i've seen many of these knocked off by places like jiffy lube.

Is this something I can do or do I have to take it to a Toyota/Lexus dealer?

What were the codes that your mechanic pulled and cleared? There are hundreds of codes that will trigger the CEL/TRAC OFF light combination.

If it is in fact due to the charcol cannister: do a search on this board and CL.

There is a warranty that covers the charcol cannister that Toyota does not like to tell customers about. The link to the government instructed recall has been posted several times.

steviej

nevermind. I did the search for you.

Read this thread, there is a link in one of the threads to the EPA website.

Print the information and bring it to the Lexus dealership if it applys to you car.

Extended Emission Thread Link

steviej

As Steviej recommends, get the diagnostic codes. I recently had the same situation with the CEL and Trac Off illuminated. Checked the code at Auto Zone (they'll do it for free) and the code was P1135 which suggested the A/F Sensor in bank 1 sensor 1. Essentially an O2 sensor ahead of the one of the catylitic converters. Also found out the expected life of the sensors is about 100k (you have 85k, so it might be the charcoal cannister). Check my posts on indicator lights and you track my journey. Good Luck!

backyard_farmer

sorry, but the string is titled diagnostic lights and not indicator lights, last entry on October 12th.

backyard farmer

Also found out the expected life of the sensors is about 100k (you have 85k, so it might be the charcoal cannister).

I had Bank 1 Sensor 1 go at 42k miles and Bank 2 Sensor 1 go at 60k miles, so the 100k mile rule for AF sensors doesn't always apply.

either way, get the codes pulled again at Autozone for free. They should still be in the ECU memory.

steviej

Update: My mechanic pulled a diagnostic trouble code of P0446 which relates to a service bulletin regarding a "false M.I.L. 'ON' DTC P0446 on some 1999 year ES 300's". The bulletin covers a certain VIN range which mine happened to fall under. This calls for the addition of Vacuum Control Valve (PN 25852-20010) which requires .5 hours. My dealer ended up charging me for 1.0 hours. They said the job was a bit more complicate than originally quoted. After waiting an hour already I gave them the go ahead (incompetent mechanic I suppose). Anyway, the part cost $34.09. I'll keep the forum posted if problems persist.

Thank you for all of your advise.