How Should I Wash And Detail My New Is350?

Hi everyone. Iam new to this forum. I just bought my car about a week ago(07 IS350, smokey granite, light inteior, X package), and is ready for its first car wash. I have read the topic on "what to do first". I went out and bought just about all the clean car products listed.

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2

Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel, Pkg/2

Meguiars Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt

Meguiars Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush

Meguiars Versa-Angle Tire Brush

detailing brush kit

2, 5 gallon buckets.

Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash

P21S Carnauba Wax

P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Meguiars all wheel cleaner(hott rims)

meguiars nxt generation insane shine tire coating

Sonus gloss shampoo(they gave me this for free, dont know where in the process I should use it)

Is there anything I am missing? Do I need to use all of this the first time I wash my car? If not, when should I? Do I need a paint cleaner like meguiar #9? Where can I find woolite? Whats a good cleaner for wood grain and the dash on my IS350? I know these are a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I do this the right way and keep my IS350 looking SHARP! Any suggestions or reccomendations are welcomed. Thanks

You've got a good set of tools there.

The first thing you need to do is assess the condition of the paint. What color is it, does it feel smooth or rough? Are there any scratches or swirls that need attention? Did you specify no prep to the dealer, or did they clean and wax it before you took delivery? Once we have the answers to these questions we can advise you further.

As for washing, if you look around here there are plenty of tutorials on proper washing. The Sonus Gloss Shampoo is simply a carwash, it would be used instead of the NXT wash if you wanted to.

The first thing you need to do is assess the condition of the paint. What color is it, does it feel smooth or rough? Are there any scratches or swirls that need attention? Did you specify no prep to the dealer, or did they clean and wax it before you took delivery? Once we have the answers to these questions we can advise you further.

As for washing, if you look around here there are plenty of tutorials on proper washing. The Sonus Gloss Shampoo is simply a carwash, it would be used instead of the NXT wash if you wanted to.

The color of the paint is smokey granite(charcoal, dark grey), the paint does feel a littel rough. I dont see scratches or swirl marks(just in case I do find some while I am washing it, please include the proper product and in what step to use the product). All the dealer did was wash the car, no wax.

The color of the paint is smokey granite(charcoal, dark grey), the paint does feel a littel rough. I dont see scratches or swirl marks(just in case I do find some while I am washing it, please include the proper product and in what step to use the product). All the dealer did was wash the car, no wax.

I just read a topic were you suggested to clay a new car as soon as you get it to prevent rail dust. What is a good clay? When should you apply it in the detailing process. I also noticed a chip on my hood today(bummer), would you reccomend I buy touch up paint from the dealership and when in the process should I apply it? Thanks

Clay Magic probably makes the best all around clay (you want the blue bar, NOT the red bar). You'll want to do that after, or while you're washing. Search on here for clay bars, and extensive tutorial was written some time ago.

If you find swirls (if you had them you'd see them) really the only way to remove them on modern paint is with a polisher. Unless you're at the stage where you want to purchase and learn how to use a polisher, just concentrate on hiding them. For you, this is what I would do:

Wash

Clay

Polish with the P21S GEPC

Wax with the P21S Wax.

Clay Magic probably makes the best all around clay (you want the blue bar, NOT the red bar). You'll want to do that after, or while you're washing. Search on here for clay bars, and extensive tutorial was written some time ago.

If you find swirls (if you had them you'd see them) really the only way to remove them on modern paint is with a polisher. Unless you're at the stage where you want to purchase and learn how to use a polisher, just concentrate on hiding them. For you, this is what I would do:

Wash

Clay

Polish with the P21S GEPC

Wax with the P21S Wax.

Should I fix the paint chip after I wash the car and before I clay?

You can clay first, but fix the chip before you polish and wax.

I reccomend touchup pens for most people, you can get them from www.paintscratch.com

Thanks I appreciate it. A few more questions. Where can I find woolite? and What is a good cleaner for my dash?( I dont know if you seen the dashes of the new IS, dont know what its made out of, but the salesman who sold me the car said not to use armoral)

You can buy Woolite at the grocery store, and Woolite dilluted 6:1 will be a fine cleaner for the dash.

Have you looked back through some of the older threads here in the detailing forum? Tons of good ideas in there.

You can buy Woolite at the grocery store, and Woolite dilluted 6:1 will be a fine cleaner for the dash.

Have you looked back through some of the older threads here in the detailing forum? Tons of good ideas in there.

I have but not have came across anything yet. Ill take another look. Thanks, Steve

I agree that even a new car should be clayed prior to applying any wax. When they ship new cars they stick that plastic to the paint for protection plus they do sit outside.

When my wife got the new 300 Chrysler, I clayed it the day after she got it and was surprized how much debris was on the paint. I then applied 3 coats of Collinite #845 Insulator wax, the only wax I use anymore.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, what is Claying? Why should a brand new car need all that type of treatment? Shouldn't they, or don't they already apply all protective layers needed to look paint good?

I agree that even a new car should be clayed prior to applying any wax. When they ship new cars they stick that plastic to the paint for protection plus they do sit outside.

When my wife got the new 300 Chrysler, I clayed it the day after she got it and was surprized how much debris was on the paint. I then applied 3 coats of Collinite #845 Insulator wax, the only wax I use anymore.

Claying is the process of removing imbedded contaminants from the paint by sliding a peice of detailers clay over a lubricated paint surface. The reason you clay a new car is to remove any ferrous contaminants like rail dust, etc. Some dealers clay, most don't.

Dealers do prep cars before delivery, they just do a lousy job.

Thanks for the info. I have had a couple of touchless car washes with hot air dry cycle. I hope that process would have removed such contaminants. I try not to wipe wet surface at all, and just let it dry (don't want potential swirl marks).

Claying is the process of removing imbedded contaminants from the paint by sliding a peice of detailers clay over a lubricated paint surface. The reason you clay a new car is to remove any ferrous contaminants like rail dust, etc. Some dealers clay, most don't.

Dealers do prep cars before delivery, they just do a lousy job.

Thanks for the info. I have had a couple of touchless car washes with hot air dry cycle. I hope that process would have removed such contaminants. I try not to wipe wet surface at all, and just let it dry (don't want potential swirl marks).

Nothing is going to remove imbedded contaminants but claying, not even machine compounding will remove them as well.

Wiping the car down with a towel after touchless carwashes would be a mistake, but touchless carwashes do not completely clean the car and the chemicals they use are extremely harsh, which contrinutes to stripping the wax off the paint and drying out the seals on the car. I suggest you read around in here and find the materials and techniques you need to do a proper wash or hire a professional to wash the car on a regular basis.

I did some reading on claying. I am worried that when you rub anything (clay or whatever) it might leave some type of whirl marks. How to ensure that that does not happen?

I just wash with water and light soap (no touching, rubbing, or wiping). It may not leave the car in best cleanliness, but at least I don't mess up with the paint surface.

I use my car only on weekends. From what I read here, it seems that I should use a cover. Any suggestions on that?

I did some reading on claying. I am worried that when you rub anything (clay or whatever) it might leave some type of whirl marks. How to ensure that that does not happen?

I just wash with water and light soap (no touching, rubbing, or wiping). It may not leave the car in best cleanliness, but at least I don't mess up with the paint surface.

I use my car only on weekends. From what I read here, it seems that I should use a cover. Any suggestions on that?

use clay lube. If you use a lot, it is cheap, you will be fine.

Even better, I use car wash soap and water when claying.

Claying does have the potential for creating swirls if done improperly. What you have to realize is that if you learn how to do these things properly you won't create swirls. Its only improper washing and detailing that creates them.

There is no way to actually clean the car without touching it. Over time leaving the paint dirty is going to cause staining and dulling. Just read the tutorials on here, buy the products we tell you to buy, and do what we do and you'll be fine.

Steve,

Sorry, where is the tutorial for proper car cleaning? I can't find the forum/link. When I wash my car, I try to make and maintain a lot of sud with very soft touch by a cleaning sponge. I have never used/seen clay for such work. My problem is that I have to go to a coin operated car wash. I have no cleaning facility at my apartment building.

They are all over the forum, look up in the pinned topics and check out www.autopia.org.

Claying isn't for washing, claying is for prepping the paint surface to be polished AFTER washing.

As for your washing situation, don't worry. There are techniques you can use to wash your car right in your parking space with no hose. Mburn and I use a product called Optimum No Rinse where all you do is mix the product with a bucket of water and wash the car top to bottom. No hose, no mess. Do it right, no swirls.

If you'd like I can refer you to a great detailer in Arlington who can come to your apartment and completely take care of the car for you.

Clay is abrasive....it is not for cleaning...it is for surface preparation prior to polishing...

All these statements tell me that for keeping car nice and clean, just use soap with good sud and a soft cloth...don't rub too much, use nice touch, and lot of clean water. These special treatments are needed only when someone is looking to improve the paint surface.

Steve,

You are from DC area, and seems to be quite knowledgeable in detailing. You should know some nice detailing stores in Arlington area. If so please advise. I need some microfible towels (cotton towel leaves a lot of lint all over), and anything else I can use. Thanks.

Clay is abrasive....it is not for cleaning...it is for surface preparation prior to polishing...

All these statements tell me that for keeping car nice and clean, just use soap with good sud and a soft cloth...don't rub too much, use nice touch, and lot of clean water. These special treatments are needed only when someone is looking to improve the paint surface.

Well, these things SHOULD be done on a regular basis. Since I keep my car so clean and wash so often I only have to clay every couple of years and I've gotten down to the need to polish only once a year (thats what good washing techniques do for you, no need to polish if you don't have any swirls). If you leave particles embedded in the paint surface they can cause spotting in the clearcoat if you have a light car. Cars that are clayed regularly as needed also stay cleaner longer, they're easier to dry and they're easier to wax.

Really and truly, the only way to get good supplies is to buy online. I order everything I can from www.pakshak.com. Now, his prices are a little higher than others but he has extremely high quality microfibers and he's a very good guy. If you tell him you're a member at the LOC and at Autopia he'll give you a discount. You need a couple waffle weave towels and a couple of the plushest ones you can get. The waffle weaves will be for drying.

I FINALLY got my car cleaned up today!