Is300 Or Es300?

Jim Clark

Trying to do some research on a car for my sister-in-law.

After her VW broke down again, she was so fed up she had it fixed and drove it to Carmax and told them to cut her a check.

She's been looking at new cars in the $20-25k range. The Mazda 3 is her favorite choice so far. She's also looked at Toyotas (thought it was to cheap feeling) and Subarus (headrest bothered her).

I suggested she look at used CPO Lexus's as an option. I think she could get a LOT more car and still be in her price range. Reliability is a primary concern and Lexus has an outstanding reputation in that area.

Other important considerations are seating postion and visibility. She's petite, about 5'0"-5'1". The seat will need to go high enough for good visibility and have reasonable reach to the pedals without putting her to close to the steering wheel. My wife is similar in size and the best fit we found for her was an Audi A6 Avant, we're now on our third one, a 2002 S6. Audis are great but don't have Lexus reliability.

There are plenty of ES's available a dealerships local to her but no IS's. I'm afraid the ES might be too big for her. How much is the size difference between the two? Is it like a 3 series vs. a 5 series BMW? I haven't seen the two side by side and I can't really tell from the pics in internet ads.

Do either of them come with telescoping steering wheels or adjustable pedals?

Is there a significant difference in fit and finish, options (convenience gadgets), and interior appointments between the two?

What are the differences in driveability and ride? I know the IS is rear wheel drive and is advertised as being sportier.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I think the IS would be a better fit. I don't have details but the IS is classed as a compact while the ES is a mid-size.

As for reliabilty, the motor in the IS has a great track record. OTOH with the IS one would have to watch out not to get one that was owned by some kid who drove it like it was stolen and didn't maintain it well.

For not much more money she might be able to find a IS250 and that would have the features such as telescoping steering wheel, etc, as well as probably being a low mileage car.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the IS would be a better fit. I don't have details but the IS is classed as a compact while the ES is a mid-size.

As for reliabilty, the motor in the IS has a great track record. OTOH with the IS one would have to watch out not to get one that was owned by some kid who drove it like it was stolen and didn't maintain it well.

For not much more money she might be able to find a IS250 and that would have the features such as telescoping steering wheel, etc, as well as probably being a low mileage car.

My wife is 5'1" and loves the is300. She did complain about her head not reaching the top of the headrest, but unfortunatly for her, that's a lost cause in any vehicle :)

I haven't driven the 250 but can vouch for the 300 as being small and comfortable. I just picked up an 02 after spending about 6 weeks looking for a car in our price range. We also checked out the Mazda 3 and hated it. I think we got a LOT more car for the same $$$. Beware though, the mpg is about 24, not what you get in a typical compact.

• 1 month later...

Well my cousin went through a similar situation. She needed a car and was looking at a VW Beetle, BMW 3 series, Lexus ES300 and IS300. I told her that after owning a bunch of german cars, japanese cars usually last long with less problems. She wanted a smaller car and the ES300 was a bit big with a older person feel. My cousin is 29 and 5'5" so the got the IS300. I believe I found her a clean title 2002 IS300 w/32,000 miles for $18,900. She loves her car.

• 2 weeks later...

The only advantage the ES would have is FWD in the winter.I just drive my 4runner when the snow hits but a good snow tire package from someone like Tire Rack would solve that problem.My wife is 5'5" and I have a heck of a time keeping her out of the IS.She let a friend drive it the other day(she told me after saying don't be mad) who is 5'3" and she kept telling me how much fun it was to drive and how easy it was to drive.Our friend normally drives a Pacifica so it was quite a change.I actually bought my 05 after driving the 06 IS250 and 350.My 05 was the last in the State as I work for a Dealership and acceleration was not an issue.I have a 450hp Mustang when I want to go fast.