Patent Cross-license From Ford..?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6588860.h...ghlight=5343970

Wow...Double that, WOW..!

I have NEVER seen a more direct admission of the hazards of engine braking on a FWD or front biased AWD in my life, never really expected too, from FORD yet. Good-o.

You should note that the FEH/MMH regenerative braking is significantly reduced ONLY at, near, or below freezing.

Regenerative braking is instantly reduced to zero if ABS needs to release the brakes to prevent lockup. But what about the ICE itself, does it raise the ICE RPM simultaneously to prevent actual engine braking?

Now I am very sure, certain, sure, I never want to drive a FWD or front torque biased AWD in wintertime conditions.

You infered all that from the few lines of the patent! Amazing! I believe quite a few members have driven their RX400hs in sub-freezing weather and even heavy snow without any issues. In fact, I've read a few posts where it was mentioned that the traction of the RX was very reassuring.

You infered all that from the few lines of the patent! Amazing! I believe quite a few members have driven their RX400hs in sub-freezing weather and even heavy snow without any issues. In fact, I've read a few posts where it was mentioned that the traction of the RX was very reassuring.

I would imagine that the CLEAR MAJORITY of RX400h, and ALL others, that have driven on packed snow and/or ice have done so without any issues.

Just as the CLEAR MAJORITY of commecial airline flights are completed with NO issues.

Does that mean that the design engineers responsible for our personal safety should simply stop thinking about design improvements that provide additional safety features for the minority of drivers who might otherwise end up injured or even dead?

NOT!

Of course, not, but by the same token, does that mean that we should NEVER fly on a commercial airplane?

I rember an old saying that mentioned "killing the engineer" if you want to get the product to market. What was implied by this remark is that the typical engineer is a perfectionist and will constantly try new ways to improve a prototype, even if it means delaying product introduction and suffering a loss of big bucks (as competitors enter the market before you do) because of it.

Yes, there is room for improvements to virtually everything, but not buying something because it is not perfect is akin to waiting year after year to buy a computer with no flaws.......

Of course, not, but by the same token, does that mean that we should NEVER fly on a commercial airplane?

I rember an old saying that mentioned "killing the engineer" if you want to get the product to market. What was implied by this remark is that the typical engineer is a perfectionist and will constantly try new ways to improve a prototype, even if it means delaying product introduction and suffering a loss of big bucks (as competitors enter the market before you do) because of it.

Yes, there is room for improvements to virtually everything, but not buying something because it is not perfect is akin to waiting year after year to buy a computer with no flaws.......

Yes, but like everything else, there are CHOICES/COMPROMISES to be made and being educated about your purchase options is a big part of that choice.

For instance you will NEVER find me aboard a DC-9 nor any of its derevatives.

I purchased a 2000 Lexus AWD RX300 well knowing it was actually more of a FWD than otherwise. It was a LEXUS. And here in the Seattle area I more often choose to go where there is snow and ice rather than have it come to me. So my 1994 AWD Ford Aerostar takes me to the snow and ice. I traded up to the 2001 RX300 model primarily to get HID and VSC/Trac.

My next SUV purchase is very likely to be a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. We recently purchased a MH and so this can be a 4-down TOAD and replace the RX300 as a daily driver. If I wish I can remove and discard the Mercury's front halfshifts, engage the rear driveline full time, and have a RWD hybrid SUV.

Of course I could do virtually the same thing with my 2001 RX300 or the new RX350 by modifying the PTO to open the solid front drive and then use the VC to couple in the front drive only with slippage at the rear.

But that still wouldn't solve the 4-down TOAD problem.

:rolleyes:

Somehow millions of people drive FWD vehicles in the snow and survive, in fact somehow the commonly held belief that FWD is better in the snow exists too.

Now I am very sure, certain, sure, I never want to drive a FWD or front torque biased AWD in wintertime conditions.
My next SUV purchase is very likely to be a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.

You mean a FWD or front Biased AWD vehicle?

You're nothing if you're not amusing wwest.

:rolleyes:

Somehow millions of people drive FWD vehicles in the snow and survive, in fact somehow the commonly held belief that FWD is better in the snow exists too.

My next SUV purchase is very likely to be a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.

You mean a FWD or front Biased AWD vehicle?

You're nothing if you're not amusing wwest.

If I should buy the Mariner then both front halfshafts will be removed and discarded and the rear driveline clutch engaged full time.

...from a Money magazine review of the RX400h....

"The system isn't cut out for aggressive, Hummer-style off-road missions, but it works quite well: I repeatedly steered the Lexus into knee-deep snowdrifts in upstate New York over the winter, and it easily powered through."

Got snow? :D

...from a Money magazine review of the RX400h....

"The system isn't cut out for aggressive, Hummer-style off-road missions, but it works quite well: I repeatedly steered the Lexus into knee-deep snowdrifts in upstate New York over the winter, and it easily powered through."

Got snow? :D

MY RWD 63 T-bird never had any problem "blasting" through snowdrifts back in MT winters, it was the stuff that was packed down or with an icy layer underneath that got my attention.

If I should buy the Mariner then both front halfshafts will be removed and discarded and the rear driveline clutch engaged full time.

Hope you never need the warranty.

If I should need the warranty I would hope that I am bright enough to reinstall the halfshafts prior to showing up at the dealer. But modern day vehicular relaibility, even a FORD, and my own DIY experience seems to indicate I would not have need of warranty service.

the ford original and extended warranty on my 99 Ford Exploder bought me a new engine, (long block), transmission (at 60K), 4wd clutch, power door lock mechanism and new driver door handle. these repairs were needed despite by the book or better maintenance. i was also able to get more for the suv when i sold it used with the warranty that could transfer to the new owner. as i have often said, that ford drove me to lexus.

Been a while since you've had a Ford?

You WILL need the warranty.

Currently own a 1993 Ford Ranger PU with ~130,000 miles, a 1994 AWD Ford Aerostar with over 135,000 miles and a 2001 Thor Four Winds MH on a 1999 Ford E350 chasis w/77,000 miles. Other than normal, routine maintainance I have had no problems with any of those.