Replacing Door Actuator Locking Mechanism

ejs

Drivers door would not open, common problem and solution is to replace the yellow clip on the door rod actuator. Took off door panel, saw the rod was dangling and knew that because when you roll the window down it would jam against the rod. It was Sunday so I bought the HELP clip packages for domestic cars at Autozone and they were close but would not work. There is no clip for the SC series but if you bring in the clip they will sell you the right one from other models. Put the clip on, twisted the rod to go back up in the right upper corner and the rod broke off at the base. (or rolling down the window I cracked it at the base)

Now I have to replace the rod,not just the clip. Looks hard.

I am finding out you can not just buy the lock, but must pay $207 for the locking mechanism. Several people posted for help or guidance on doing this, no replies. I know they must have done it so I will ask anyone who has done this for tips and guidance.

I have the rod, will take it to Carson Toyota to see if they can just sell me the rod but believe I will get stuck buying the whole mechanism as I am not sure how the rod can screw in.

How do I replace the rod actuator/locking mechanism? I stupidly took off the panel and closed the door, should have left it on as the handle comes off from the inside when you take the panel off completely so now I am climbing over the passenger side and have to put the handle back on to pull the wires to open the door.

• 2 months later...

Drivers door would not open, common problem and solution is to replace the yellow clip on the door rod actuator. Took off door panel, saw the rod was dangling and knew that because when you roll the window down it would jam against the rod. It was Sunday so I bought the HELP clip packages for domestic cars at Autozone and they were close but would not work. There is no clip for the SC series but if you bring in the clip they will sell you the right one from other models. Put the clip on, twisted the rod to go back up in the right upper corner and the rod broke off at the base. (or rolling down the window I cracked it at the base)

Now I have to replace the rod,not just the clip. Looks hard.

I am finding out you can not just buy the lock, but must pay $207 for the locking mechanism. Several people posted for help or guidance on doing this, no replies. I know they must have done it so I will ask anyone who has done this for tips and guidance.

I have the rod, will take it to Carson Toyota to see if they can just sell me the rod but believe I will get stuck buying the whole mechanism as I am not sure how the rod can screw in.

How do I replace the rod actuator/locking mechanism? I stupidly took off the panel and closed the door, should have left it on as the handle comes off from the inside when you take the panel off completely so now I am climbing over the passenger side and have to put the handle back on to pull the wires to open the door.

Same thing happened to me - the break and all. I took the bottom broken piece of the rod - now in the shape of a "U", drilled a small hole at the base of the "U", turned it upside down, drilled a small hole at the base of the top part of the rod just above the break point & screwed the two pieces together with a small sheet metal screw (kind of looked like a tuning fork). I then re-inserted the upside "U" part of the rod back into the locking mechanism in its original place (small hole with a spring loaded bar against the edge of the door) & clipped the top part of the rod back onto its place on the door handle. It has been over two months and it has worked like a charm (knock on wood).

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up, when I did a search someone said they replaced the door locki mechanism and it took 2 hours, took me 4. Didn't have the star tool from the outside of the door so bought one. This is really not fun. I would pay someone next time. Lubbed the window channel while I was in there. Used epoxy to glue some of the door panel plastic pieces so my bottom door light and the remote control unit would stay fixed and in place.

So where did I go wrong?

When door first woud not open from outside, I should have stopped using the window as it may have contributed to breaking the rod. Should have went to the dealer and bought the yellow clip before I took the door panel off and started messing with it, they don't carry these at Autozone and you need the dealer part. Be carefult twisting the rod to get it way up in the corner to snap it in place. If you end up twisting the rod and breaking the U, it cost me $208 for the entire part, and was a real pain to replace.

AS to door panel, its easy to get off, I peeled back the plastic splash shield and re-used it. Only other stupid thing I did was close the door when I had the door panel off after I disconnected the door handle from the inside so I couldn't open the door from the inside or outside.