Lexus Is350 In Canada

I live in Vancouver and hope to purchase the is350. But the pricing is a joke. To get the is350 in sports package and navigation, its $61,000. Whats up with this? I can get the same model and options in USA for $45,000. Do you think its possible to get one from Seattle? Or will they not allow for a canadian citizen to buy a car from Seattle? Can anyone please help.

i have no idea about the laws for this. but i did go to seattle this summer and vancouver, and my tour guide person told me that you cannot...or at least i think i heard that you cannot. IF you have a friend in Seattle, (a US citizen), he can buy the car, and then sell it to you... thats the only way.

I live in Vancouver and hope to purchase the is350. But the pricing is a joke. To get the is350 in sports package and navigation, its $61,000. Whats up with this? I can get the same model and options in USA for $45,000. Do you think its possible to get one from Seattle? Or will they not allow for a canadian citizen to buy a car from Seattle? Can anyone please help.

You might could do it, but you'd still have to pay the Canadian taxes so there would be no benefit.

I think RX got it right: you'd need someone to buy the car then sell it to you. The dealer is likely not allowed to sell to you. I read an atricle where people in Southern Ontario were going down to an Acura dealership in Buffalo. The dealer got his knuckles rapped by Acura HQ for this

Even if you did get a new car in the US, as it is not a US-made vehicle you will still have to pay 6.2% duty plus the 7% GST plus whatever the BC provincial tax . Then, factor in the exchange rate of approx. 13%. At the end of the day, it should be about the same. You should get a much better deal if you bought a used car.

Go to the transport Canada website for a full list of all importing issues and costs.

Anyway you put it buying a car in the U.S. is 20-30% cheaper for the exact same one. Or look for a business that just deals with buying the car you want and importing it.

I came across this issue when I was looking at Acura TL's.

The TL in America does not offer ventilated seats, but Acura, in all it's infinite wisdon, decided to make the option available in Canada, where it's average temp is like 400 degress below zero... :wacko:

Anyway, I thought I'd order mine from Canada, hoping that it could get past US's strict emissions.... until I saw the insane price.

For that kind of coin, I could have gotten a loaded GS!