Paint Fading

2klx470

-I need advise on how to take care of the paint fading on my LX470-2002. Has anyone seen this problem before? Paint is turning white from the inside. My LX470's original color is gold.

-If you have the same issue and took care of it, what did you do? Did you take it to the Lexus dealership for a body paint touch-up? This is what I am thinking of doing.

Would you happen to know what is the exact color name? My guess is Burnished Gold. If the paint is fading then it means the car was exposed to sunlight a lot. If the fade is really bad then I think there isnt much you can do. :(

-I need advise on how to take care of the paint fading on my LX470-2002. Has anyone seen this problem before? Paint is turning white from the inside. My LX470's original color is gold.

-If you have the same issue and took care of it, what did you do? Did you take it to the Lexus dealership for a body paint touch-up? This is what I am thinking of doing.

Would you happen to know what is the exact color name? My guess is Burnished Gold. If the paint is fading then it means the car was exposed to sunlight a lot. If the fade is really bad then I think there isnt much you can do. :(

The color is Smokey Topaz. The fading is not obvious at first glance, but if you move closer to the vehicle, like 3 feet from it, you will notice the fading.

Fading is occuring in the back (tail gate?), roof, top of doors. I do not see any rust though.

The car has 68K miles, LX470-2000. Does anyone know if Lexus would still cover repair for this paint fading?

Hi,

Just so you know, I lurk here now and then and joined just so I could answer this question! :)

Lexus will absolutely take care of this for you...go to the dealer right away, if they do not call Lexus customer service.

The color you have on the 2000 model is defective....it is fading because of a defect in the UV protectant. The degree of fading varies with the extent of UV exposure. Some become totally washed out and faded.....in mild cases you can only see the "whiteness" when you loook at the car on an angle. Sometimes only the roof and hood are affected...but often the mirrors and tops of fenders, doors, quarter panels.

The only solution is to paint the vehicle. It cannot be buffed because it is failing from "inside" the paint. Truthfully your whole vehicle should probably be repainted, but you might get away with just doing the top surfaces. It is just a question of sun exposure....exposed to enough, it is going to fail. Look over the vehicle carefully.

This is the only color that I know has failed.

Let us know how it works out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just so you know, I lurk here now and then and joined just so I could answer this question! :)

Lexus will absolutely take care of this for you...go to the dealer right away, if they do not call Lexus customer service.

The color you have on the 2000 model is defective....it is fading because of a defect in the UV protectant. The degree of fading varies with the extent of UV exposure. Some become totally washed out and faded.....in mild cases you can only see the "whiteness" when you loook at the car on an angle. Sometimes only the roof and hood are affected...but often the mirrors and tops of fenders, doors, quarter panels.

The only solution is to paint the vehicle. It cannot be buffed because it is failing from "inside" the paint. Truthfully your whole vehicle should probably be repainted, but you might get away with just doing the top surfaces. It is just a question of sun exposure....exposed to enough, it is going to fail. Look over the vehicle carefully.

This is the only color that I know has failed.

**This is my reply****

-I called Lexus Customer Service and they advised me to take the vehicle for inspection.

-Before I took the car to the dealership, I took it to 2 auto body shop and 1 car detailer. They all said the same thing, the paint is defective. The clear coat is nice and glossy all over the car, but the base coat is losing color from the top of the four doors, back end of the hood, tail gate, and back of roof. The detailer tried to buff and polish but to no avail.

-The Lexus service manager took pictures and documented the fading. He verbally told me that the paint is defective, but the warranty is out. The car is a 2000 lx470 with 68K miles.

-The service mgr sent it to the regional director and they reviewed the inspection docs. They advised Lexus is not covering any or part of the cost to repair the paint defect.

-I can see their point being the warranty is out. But this is a Lexus, they need to protect their reputation by correcting any defect on their vehicles, or people will start to doubt their commitment to excellence.

Let us know how it works out!

-I called Lexus Customer Service and they advised me to take the vehicle for inspection.

-Before I took the car to the dealership, I took it to 2 auto body shop and 1 car detailer. They all said the same thing, the paint is defective. The clear coat is nice and glossy all over the car, but the base coat is losing color from the top of the four doors, back end of the hood, tail gate, and back of roof. The detailer tried to buff and polish but to no avail.

-The Lexus service manager took pictures and documented the fading. He verbally told me that the paint is defective, but the warranty is out. The car is a 2000 lx470 with 68K miles.

-The service mgr sent it to the regional director and they reviewed the inspection docs. They advised Lexus is not covering any or part of the cost to repair the paint defect.

-I can see their point being the warranty is out. But this is a Lexus, they need to protect their reputation by correcting any defect on their vehicles, or people will start to doubt their commitment to excellence.

• 2 years later...

I have exact same problem on my 2000 lx470. Any further news?

please respond to

2000@vineyard.net

-------------------------------

same happen to me...but I have smokey topaz...and this is a known issue. It seems lexus will cover this, but different parts of country they seem to have different policies?

• 1 year later...