Dead Battery

I commute daily by bus... and 03 ES is my weekend car (just has about 2000 miles for 5 months)

Last Friday eve, I couldn't start the car... Sat... lost power again... :-( (the battery status indicator is red)... Brought to dealer... they changed the battery for me... But, the service rep. told me that I have to drive the car at least 2 hours (spreading during the week)... not just weekend...

Question:

ES doesn't have battery run-down protection... ?

ES in stand-by mode eat that much battery power... ?

and Have you ever lost power if you not drive for a week...?

Thanks,

PS: My other car , the 90 Daytona...(since the day I have the ES)... I even drive less... sometimes I didn't drive for almost a month... but never have problem with battery...

i used to have that problem

since i drive my es 1-2 every couple of weeks

as i have a daily drive to beat up

i replaced the battery with a deep cycle one from optima and have never had to boost the car yet

in 1 month

and it used to be almost a daily routine to drive the car

ES doesn't have battery run-down protection... ?

No, all model Lexus's don't have this type of protection.

ES in stand-by mode eat that much battery power... ?

There is always a small drain on the battery due to all the electronic components that are always activated, such as the alarm system, door activation, etc. This drain will discharge the battery over a period of time.

Have you ever lost power if you not drive for a week...?

Yes, this happened when my battery was on it's last legs. It turned out that one of the cells was weak, so I replaced the battery. I than could start the car after it wasn't used for over 3 weeks. If you intend to not use the car for long periods of time you could buy an inexpensive trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged at all times.

I conquer with Alan.

I must say that 1 week is a short time. I would be surprisxed if this happened over the coarse of 3-4 weeks, but not one.

Is there a light stuck on somewhere that is putting a further drain on the battery to bring it down to 1 week?

If the battery is load tested and each cell checks out, look into the trickle charger. But first, see if the dealership will replace the battery at no cost just if they can't completely test each cell. 1 week is too short if it is just routine computer drainage.

steviej

as you alreadty had the battery changed i would say there is some kind of excessive load

as stated before 1 week is short

but my battery was toast as well because my wiring needed to be changed to feed the battery properly when needed

I'd say "yes, the ES300 has a problem in killing batteries". My 2000 ES300 must frequently be jumped after sitting 3-5 days. I've measured the standby current at the battery + terminal and it's only a few 100 mA. This will take months to kill a battery; so it's not the usual standby drain that is the problem. It must be one of the automatic systems that doesn't always shut down. My current guess is the headlights. I leave them in the auto mode. I use the daylight running lights and the headlights on all the time. I know that this system can be fooled into thinking that I'm still in the car and it will not shut off the lights. The trick is to open and close the door a few times and maybe something else. I'm still working on it.

Tom

With light setting at auto mode... If you turn off the engine.. the light.. still on.. for a while (I think 60 sec)

To shut off the HID light: when I turn off the engine... I turn the switch to DRL off.. it will shut the HID light... then I turn it back to auto...

60 seconds or so of HID headlight.. I think it will be like a day for stand by mode...

lexdriver,

just hit you lock button on the key another time. The lights will go out immediately after you get out of the car and the doors are locked.

You can leave the selector in DRL all the time and don't have to move it.

steviej

Stevie,

I spotted that trick. But, I don't lock my car at night. It's in a garage in a "no crime" town. I want to be able to just drive in, put it in park, take the key out & go into the house. A few times, when I've been opening & closing several doors (to get stuff in the back seat or trunk); I've gone back out an hour later and the lights are still on.

Tom

There is an adjustment for the length of time that your lights stay on when in auto mode position. Generally this timing adjustment can be done by the dealer. If your lights stay on for an hour than the timing mechanism is defective.

Personally I like them in auto mode.

The DRLs are on, this helps me to be seen especially by that unobservant driver that is always on their cell phone or that driver that is not the best at the vision test.

I never have to worry about putting my lights on.

I never have to worry about forgetting to shut my lights off.

It is a convenience item that I have grown accustomed too and

with the stages of CRS (can't remember stuff) increasing in my brain, it helps.

steviej

Just check the battery feature of ES and Camry:

ES : 65 amp hours (Ah) battery

Camry: Battery with run down protection

"This prevents excessive power drain on the battery. Battery run-down protection leaves enough power reserve to restart the vehicle"

Just wonder why ES.. doesn't have this nice feature... (Battery with run down protection)