Can I Drive With Malfunctioning Oxygen Sensor?

svarog

Hello I had CEL today, so I went to autozone and got the code and bought a bosch oxygen sensor (The one that isn't universal but fits in) it was $160.

my question is, should i change it out immediately?

Or can I drive until the weekend with broxen o2 sensor?

Reason I don't want to change it now is if i screw up, I won't be able to get to work and make any money and buy any food!

Thanks

You will get bad gas milage and you may fowl the plugs.

Good luck with the universal sensor. I had big problems with a universal and ended up getting a model specific sensor to fix everything. (The dang connecter pulled free inside the plug - figured this out latter, ended up using the sensor on another vehicle).

T

i think the factory part is actually cheaper. although i'm factoring in my wholesale discount.

usually they are not. Recently I had to price an OEM B1S1 sensor and it ran about 225 from a Toyota parts counter and close to $250 at Lexus. Online Lexus parts are cheaper but some require shipping charges. www.sparkplugs.com is another alternative.

steviej

i think the factory part is actually cheaper. although i'm factoring in my wholesale discount.

usually they are not. Recently I had to price an OEM B1S1 sensor and it ran about 225 from a Toyota parts counter and close to $250 at Lexus. Online Lexus parts are cheaper but some require shipping charges. www.sparkplugs.com is another alternative.

steviej

well we also have to keep in mind that the newer ones and for the most part all cali emission spec engines since around 98 actually don't use oxygen sensors. they use air fuel ratio sensors. iirc i just paid $157 for one on thusday, but i can't remember the actual vehicle :unsure: