Engine Hesitation, Tranny Shifting Problems

2000 GS300 Sport

HI

Wondering if anyone has had the following problems. I have the car booked into Lexus but itching to know what it could be before then.

I started noticing when rolling down hills that when i applied the gas the tranny takes a second or two to pick up... then noticed each shift between gears was slow and slightly slippy.

Then I have had 4 occasions where i have had the engine light come on and the car goes into limp mode.

I also feel the engine is sluggish and very uneconomical when driving normally.

When cruising at 40 and i take my foot off the gas pedel the car feels like it is in a much lower gear.

regards

hi

Error code turns out to be P1121 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor/Range Performance.

hmmm not sure what to do next.. dealers seems hesitant in giving a proper solution apart from replacing the throttle body (damn expensive)

I am wondering if the throttle cable is the problem... when i pull the cable i have slight play.. as in i can pull it backwards and forwards.

Should the cable be tight??

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem w/my 2002 GS300. No dash light or even engine code logged, so the dealer says. When I apply gas from a stop the car will hesitate and move slowly for a few seconds and then picks up to normal operations. Also cruising/coasting along at about 40 mph and apply gas the car will hesitate for a few seconds and then respond. Dealer can't recreate problem-never happens when I take the Lexus service rep for test drive. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

• 9 months later...

2000 GS300 Sport

hey I have a 2001 gs 430 and it's the same problem.I step on the gas from a full stop or cruising and it goes limp for a sec or two then some times it back fires then sometimes it feels like the tranny is sliiping or the torgue converter is not catching

HI

Wondering if anyone has had the following problems. I have the car booked into Lexus but itching to know what it could be before then.

I started noticing when rolling down hills that when i applied the gas the tranny takes a second or two to pick up... then noticed each shift between gears was slow and slightly slippy.

Then I have had 4 occasions where i have had the engine light come on and the car goes into limp mode.

When cruising at 40 and i take my foot off the gas pedel the car feels like it is in a much lower gear.

regards

2000 GS300 Sport

hey I have a 2001 gs 430 and it's the same problem.I step on the gas from a full stop or cruising and it goes limp for a sec or two then some times it back fires then sometimes it feels like the tranny is sliiping or the torgue converter is not catching

HI

regards

I've had the same hesitation from dead stop on a 2000 GS300. No one seems to know how to fix the problem - dealer or dedicated independent. My solution - any time I know I need a quick get away(traffic merge) I load up the torque converter, let off the brake and gun it. No hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 01 GS430. I have 80k miles. Almost time for a timing belt. I'm going to have my transmission fluid changed soon to see if that helps. The problem seems to only happen when the engine is cold, when I first start it and drive.

I haven't found anything in the manual about when to change the tranny fluid ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used 04 gs430 about 4 months ago.

It has 44k miles on it now, i've had the 45k service done also.

When my car first starts, moreso in the morning, it really hesitates bad. It is really noticable when the weather is cool and motor is cold. I took it for service and had them do he 45k service because of the hesitation and they said the spark plugs needed to be changed and that I should only put brand name gas in the engine which I do. I said I can't speak for the previous owner thou. Well the problem isn't fixed and I took the car in to get checked again and the tech couldn't duplicate the problem of course it was 100 degrees and I told him it wouldnt do it then. He said the V8 has these issues and that is just something I should get used to. Well of course that didn't make sense to me.

After the car is running for about 5 mins the car runs normal. I'm concerned because the warrenty is about to run out in about 5k thou.

Please let me know if you have had this problem and hopefully how it was resolved.

Any help would be great!!

If there is a fault with your pedal position sensor you need to verify that the sensor is bad. Also, my experience is if its running rough and stumbles I will usually inspect/clean the throttle body and MAF sensor (you need special electronics cleaner safe on diodes and sensors). Its not uncommon for these to get dirty and dirty t/b's usaully cause 90% of rough running conditions. If your car is heavily hesitating and misfiring you need to have it scanned at the dealership and dont throw parts at it. Diagnostic scan tools are priceless and Im not talking about the scan tool Autozone lets you use. Yes you have to pay a technician to hook up a computer but lexus parts are not cheap enough to just throw at your car in hopes it fixes the problem.