Losing 2 Seconds In Acceleration

Hey again everybody,

Well, the ES i have was purchased this past April (105k miles now), and I knew I wasn't buying a fast car.

However, when I looked in the specs, they said 0-60 from 8.0 to 8.6 secs ( http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/art.../0-60times.html ), so I decided to do some testing, and the best result I could end up with was 10.0 secs. (a number of trials, reaction time as good as possible, etc). That's close to what I had in a 2.3L Accord... <_< Bien sur, the car was empied of all the stuff usually kept in the trunk. I have also changed:

- Spark Plugs (NGK Platinum)

- Oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic)

- Tires (Bridgestone Potenza G009)

- Air Filter checked and is clean

- Cleaned the Throttle Body (done at a shop, so i took their word for it)

Any ideas what else could be in the way of achieving specified numbers? Would tranny fluid do anything at all?

Don't blame me for my persuit of perfection, lol.

Cheers!

first of all, most 0-60 times dont match up realistically in the real world i think. as with EPA estimates, lol, its done by the automaker so you cant really trust them. second, its an 8 year old car, that probably lost some horsepower, however small, maybe 10-20hp??

did you time it yourself? cause 2 seconds goes by realllyy quick, who can tell? lol

Those 0-60 times are accurate. They're done via indipendant testing. On that list, it's compiled times from either car and driver, or motortrend. Both of which have always matched the published Lexus times for the ES's & the published Camry times for the v6 Camries.

Frankie_B what kinda audio equipment? What do you weigh? What wheel & tires size are you using?

Do you know how long a second is? (That is a serious question... I was a drumme ofr a long time. I know without a stopwatch. Are you that accurate? Most people don't have a damned clue lol!) You're likely counting fast. Which is why you should video tape the speedometer during the process, or use something like a g-tech pro to figure it out.

They don't exactly have the horsepower to require any finiky launching. It's powerbrake & go so... Driver doesn't really make a differance & that's pretty much what u get in the real world.

Big wheels & audio quickly will add nearly a second to just the 0-60mph time.

Toysrme,

Stock Pioneer audio, 205/65/15 tires, stocks rims. No mods to the car, really. I'm rather light @ 170 lbs.

Prior to the test, I spent a few minutes practicing good reaction times with the stopwatch.. Think I almost mastered it.

The funny thing is, during one of the test, a guy sitting next to me at the traffic light though i was gonna race him...Well, I ended up "losing" to a Dodge truck...not that it really matters.

SK,

A friend of mine will be bringing my a few cans of that stuff, I'll certainly try it, too.

you lost to a truck? worse...an american truck? lol

are you sure your pushing the pedal on the right :P

You have no chance going up to a hemi ,it will eat you and most regular cars.

Don't feel bad since they fill up at every 3rd gas station they pass.

Werd. Any v8 Chrystler (Dodge/Jeep) from the late 90's on will take down about anything Lexus has ever made. Minus the newest engine families & I'm not talking like the new 500bhp v8. Their lesser "normal" v8's crank enough power to motor them. That old Jeep Grand Cherokee would run mid 14's with bolt ons sheesh. Factory sub-16s 1/4 miles.

They're nothing to scoff at.

• New plugs
  • Clean the MAF wire with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol
  • Reset the ECU & drive it like you stole it
  • If you have over-sensative knock sensors. There's your problem
  • Seafoam it to clean the carbon out of the combustion chambers
  • Take the upper itnake manifol doff & clean it & the lower manifold ports, throttlebody, IAC & EGR valves (if equipped)
  • Test o2 sensor outputs