1990 Ls400 Seat Belts

falciott

So as I was waiting at the light, I decided to test out my seat belts. That's a habit that was always recurring in my previous cars, but never done it in the Lex. Anyway, as I was giving a quick tug on the belts, they didn't seem to lock up and keep from extending, they do retract, that's not a problem, they just don;t lock up. Whenever I have tested out all the other cars' belts, they have always worked, always locked up and stopped the seat belts from extending, no matter the car by the way, new or old.This has me a bit concerned now, cause if they don;t lock up, they're as good as non existent and I would hate to kiss the windshield in case of an accident. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what to do? Easy fix or dealers' touch needed? Thanks folks :cheers:

I just went out to check out mine. Started it up, put it in drive... same thing - doesn't lock up.

Either I have the same problem as you or this is normal behavior. With as many sensors as these cars have, there's got to be some that determine the need for the belts to lock up.

Hello fellow LS owners, so I am thinking that AZhotls might be right, maybe a sensor might take care of stopping the belts, heck I hope that's the case, so far no matter how fast I pull on the belts it won't lock.

LSscott, thanx for the thread, unfortunately it doesn't apply to my case, guys in there have problems with the seat belts retracting, mine retracts properly, but when given a super quick tug, it doesnt lock. So in case of an accident , it'll just extend till I catch some fresh air thru the windshield.I tried the same on my 2000 Honda Odyssey, and it works like a champ! Maybe I should just stop the paranoia :whistles: