Got Rear Ended...

SW03ES

Ugh.

We went to see a movie tonight, and wouldn't you know it, I got rear ended sitting at the garage exit to pay for parking. 16 year old girl with 4 friends in a C class Mercedes. I felt bad for her, she was obviously rattled.

Damage isn't too bad, bumper is buffed up and theres a small indentation about 1/2 an inch long. I got her information, but I'm hoping I can buff it out tomorrow on my own and not have to go through the hassle of getting the bumper repainted AGAIN. The sad thing is its only been a few months since last time :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd vent...

Ugh.

We went to see a movie tonight, and wouldn't you know it, I got rear ended sitting at the garage exit to pay for parking. 16 year old girl with 4 friends in a C class Mercedes. I felt bad for her, she was obviously rattled.

Damage isn't too bad, bumper is buffed up and theres a small indentation about 1/2 an inch long. I got her information, but I'm hoping I can buff it out tomorrow on my own and not have to go through the hassle of getting the bumper repainted AGAIN. The sad thing is its only been a few months since last time :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd vent...

Sorry to hear that Steve, but I have an even better story, and my tale of woe.

Last week I was out to a Long Island mall shopping, and when I came back to the parking area, there was my car pushed back into the traffic lane. I noticed that before I left to shop there was an SUV parked with the tail of his/her car in front of me. It looked like the driver of this SUV inadvertently put their car in reverse and crashed into me with such force that it made a hole in my bumper, drove the whole assembly back, so the hood was kinked, plus on first inspection did other internal damages. I drove the ES home without noticing any ill effects from this trauma. On Monday morning I went to my Lexus dealer to get an idea of how much this repair was going to cost, and I was told about $2000.....but he could give me a more accurate price after the bumper was removed. The original estimate was incorrect, because on further inspection both the left & right headlamp assemblies were cracked, and they had to be replaced also...at about $1000 per side. The final total for this repair was $4045.53, plus my comprehensive deductible of $500. The hood, hid light assemblies, bumper, plus many more bent brackets had to be replaced. I won't get my car back until sometime next week, but I was told that after this repair was done, that this fairly massive job would be undetectable. I've seen some other jobs that this Lexus body shop has done in the past.....so I believe what they told me.

Upset is really not strong enough to describe how I'm feeling, as you can understand, but it's really bothering me tremendously, since this SUV owner took off without leaving me any kind of note.....hit & run!

Remember: If at all possible, DON'T PARK BEHIND AN SUV!! The main reason my car had so much damage was because of the unequal bumper heights.

I'll report back after I get my sweet 'lil car back, and tell you the final results. :angry:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that Alan, they'll fix it up to where you'll never know the difference. Wow, some people. You couldn't find any witnesses?

I got out and looked at mine this morning in the light. The damage to the paint is minor, I could fix it to 90% with my buffer. There are however three small creases in the bumper cover that theres not anything I can do about. So, since its not my bill I don't see any reason I should live with them so I'm going to get estimates on Monday.

I just washed it and buffed out the bumper, and it actually looks good. No damage to the paint, and the creases have lessened with the vibration of the bumper. Might just be okay after all.

Damn u and Lex at the same time! Werd. It's those eurathane rear bumpers they use. Those things are T U F F tuff.

Get under there & check the mounts. I think they're designed to split off in the case of a large, even impact to try to save the bumper. That's what happened that time I was teaching my lil cuz how to do 180's & 360's, and he ran us backwards off the road into a huge ditch. Be put 2 scratches into the plastic (big deal), and broke half the mounts of my bumper.

I just got it home, cleaned it all up with alcohol, scuffed the plastic up & used some fiberglass / epoxy to make new mounts. Good as new, no family wasting money. (Cause i think he wa 14 or 15 at the time lol.)

If the paint is messe dup in the least, You need to have it serviced while you can. Normally... The FIRST accident you have isn't going to bump your insurance, even when you're a teenager.

I'm not worried about messing up her insurance LOL, I just dont want to have to go through getting the car back and taking the time to get the paint looking right again (they always swirl everything all up) unless I have to.

I'm still going to go by Monday and let my shop look at it, check the mounts, and see what they think. I've heard with heat you can smooth out dimples in the urethane bumpers, maybe they can do that and make the repair look 100%. Its just three small little waves in the urethane, they look like light door dings.

Alan that makes me sick to my stomach to read what happened to your new beautiful car! Its really depressing to know what lowlife scum would do such a thing. Anyways, seems like your handling it well... it happened.. theres nothing you can do but get it fixed! and i'm sure it'll look great. Good luck.

Of course its legal, why would her being a girl change when she could be allowed to legally drive?

She just looked away digging for her parking ticket, it was an accident and it happens to everybody.

Okay, some more than others LOL

Ugh.

Just thought I'd vent...

Sorry to hear that Steve, but I have an even better story, and my tale of woe.

Last week I was out to a Long Island mall shopping, and when I came back to the parking area, there was my car pushed back into the traffic lane. I noticed that before I left to shop there was an SUV parked with the tail of his/her car in front of me. It looked like the driver of this SUV inadvertently put their car in reverse and crashed into me with such force that it made a hole in my bumper, drove the whole assembly back, so the hood was kinked, plus on first inspection did other internal damages. I drove the ES home without noticing any ill effects from this trauma. On Monday morning I went to my Lexus dealer to get an idea of how much this repair was going to cost, and I was told about $2000.....but he could give me a more accurate price after the bumper was removed. The original estimate was incorrect, because on further inspection both the left & right headlamp assemblies were cracked, and they had to be replaced also...at about $1000 per side. The final total for this repair was $4045.53, plus my comprehensive deductible of $500. The hood, hid light assemblies, bumper, plus many more bent brackets had to be replaced. I won't get my car back until sometime next week, but I was told that after this repair was done, that this fairly massive job would be undetectable. I've seen some other jobs that this Lexus body shop has done in the past.....so I believe what they told me.

Upset is really not strong enough to describe how I'm feeling, as you can understand, but it's really bothering me tremendously, since this SUV owner took off without leaving me any kind of note.....hit & run!

Remember: If at all possible, DON'T PARK BEHIND AN SUV!! The main reason my car had so much damage was because of the unequal bumper heights.

I'll report back after I get my sweet 'lil car back, and tell you the final results. :angry:

LATE TO THE PARTY!

This :censored: sucks! It is bad enough if you do something to your own car...but when some A....hole will not even leave their insurance info. I have at least one person a day call regarding the same thing. In MD you have to pay a $250 uninsured motorist deductible for your car being hit in a parking lot. So now they have to pay money to get their car fixed! It just doesn't seem right! :chairshot:

The way I feel about it is most people do not respect their own things...so why would they even think of respecting yours?????

SW- in your case...at least they had insurance, and that it was pretty minor! But even so...it still SUCKS! ;)