Run Flat Tires

JDOwen2

Buzz put it mildly. I am tossing mine with a couple thousand miles on them b/c/ they stink in rain, god need have mercy in snow or ice, pound and whine continuously, and finally because with this little mileage the dealer says i need new rims because the low side wall can't absorb the shock of a pothole -- or actuallyan expansion joint in a new tunnel.

These tires should be illegal, or at least Lexus ought to pay to replace them if there is anything at all to the "pasionate pursuit of perfection" because they are far from it.

Agreed. I "accidently" ditched my run flats two days ago. After 15,000 miles I experienced a slow leak on one tire and when I went in to have it fixed the tire salesman told me they needed to be replaced. He quoted me $1300 (!) for the Bridstone run-flats, identical to what was on the car (only 15,000 miles!). I asked if he had anything cheaper and he proposed a Pirelli P7000 SS. I have had good experience on my SC400 in the past with Pirellis, and they were "only" $1000 so I bought them. I assumed they were run flats too. Literally in one day I couldn't believe how much better the car performed. Smoother, quieter, handled better - I was amazed. So much so that I went back to inquire if these were, in fact, run flats because the ride was so superior to my Bridgestones. He told me they weren't (my error for not asking I guess). However, these are so far superior to what I had, I'll never go back to the run flats - and I have only been driving these for two days. What a difference. I recommend everyone should experience the difference driving the run flats vs. standard. Even though the Pirelli ultra high performance tires still aren't rated with a life expectancy as long as a standard tire, the ride and drive performance more than make up for the difference vs. run flats. And, yea, you can "run flat" for a hundred miles or so, then you have to throw it away and buy a new $400 tire. What's the advantage there?