About To Get A 92 Es300, Need Your Input!

Hello.

I just joined the community so go easy on me :)

I am about to purchase a 92 ES300 with 138K miles on the clock for $3500. I know it's kinda old but I already looked at the car and the exterior/interior is in very good shape. No noticeable rust, tears, dents, stains on the exterior/interior. Engine seems to start and run fine. When shifting up, I can feel a jerk, a bit harder than usual and suspension feels loose. According to the seller, it has been "well maintained." I am thinking that rather than paying the same amount of money for a domestic car or a compact car with less mileage, I would be better off with Toyota reliablility... I hope I am right :whistles: OH, and I love the color (Pearl White)!

So are there any things to watch out for when looking at a car this old? I just want a car that will run without problems for about 2-3 years. I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks! B)

Pretty much, yeah it's good. The same money buys an equivilant v6 Camry so...

As long as the engine doesn't overheat, the only problem of note for the whole thing is blowing head gaskets. Which comes from overheating the engine. If you keep the cooling system in check, it'll run until you blow the rings out of it, barring some random stupid failure.

Flush the coolant, change the thermostat & pressure caps, flush the transmission fluid ASAP.

From there, expect to do every form of maintenance in the near future. There are plenty of lists for that & frankly they get alittle long.

AFA the suspension being not new. All suspensions feel like that after about 10 years. Save up some money for new springs & struts.

The engine rocking is because the torsional (dog bone) engine mount is shot, probably the front engine mount also. Cheap replacements of those can be had bundled together on ebay.

I got my 92 about 3 years ago with 220,000 miles on it. I now have almost 255,000 and it is running like a champ. I did the things ToysRme is suggesting (replaced the radiator, dogbone, flushed all fluids and had the A/C recharged) I have since had to get new tires. If you maintain it, it will run! I love mine.

rosie

i bought a 92 2 years ago

things that i have replace since:

R12-R134a conversion

Air intake tube

Radiator hose

dog bone

lower engine mount

valve cover gasket

dash bulbs

currently doing timing belt, water pump, 4 struts

i will do the oil pan and transmission gasket soon.