Converting "air Struts" To Conventional Questions ?

leximus

This is a very common question. You will find a lot of helpful information by running a search under the keywords. it is my understanding the arrnot's are the better of the two. Strutmasters I've heard are a little stiff for some people.

you know, you can buy true lexus oem struts for like $50 each from the online vendors. check out www.parts.com and drill down to lexus. YOu'll find several offereings. I like lexusparts.com myself.

I don't think it would have saved you any money. I just paid $70/corner for OEM struts, so that's $280, and then you add another $400 or more for coil springs. Add another $100 for bumpers/mounts/etc., and the Arnott conversion is looking like a nice deal. ;)

Leximus - I just saw your post today. I recently converted my struts to Arnott and am very happy, especially for the price. You did well. At the same time I changed many other suspension parts: lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, stabilizer bar bushings and end links, and strut rods. I had significant wear on them with 250,000 miles. You should check the condition of these other parts, because you'll likely need an alignment after installing the conversions anyway. I didn't want to blame the ride quality soley on the struts if I didn't like them.

Arnott claims that their struts are engineered to give a similar damping rate as that of the air struts. Possible, but I found the air ride to be softer and smoother all around. Initially after install I was pretty dissapointed, but then after driving about 100 miles everything seem to soften up and fit into place. Now I feel like I'm driving a new LS. It was easy to change them (a little more work on the rears). PM me if you have any specific install questions. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I looked online and the arnott struts are for the LS 90-92? Did lexus stop putting air suspension on the models after 1992?

I looked online and the arnott struts are for the LS 90-92? Did lexus stop putting air suspension on the models after 1992?

I have a 1994 LS400 with the option...

• 2 years later...

Here is a parts list from the Lexus Dealer advising me what all parts I needed to convert using all lexus parts (1995 model). 2 each of each part. I have not converted the suspension yet, but got this information while searching for the best option.

I am posting this here because I could not find this information anywhere else and this was one of the more informative threads on the topic.

Front:

48510-59106 Absorber Assy,

48131-50070 Spring, Coil,

48157-50010 Insulator, Fr

48680-50090 Support Assy,

90950-01659 Plug, Hole (aka Cap on Carson Toyota's site)

Rear:

48530-59097 Absorber Assy,

48231-50100 Spring, Coil,

48257-50010 Insulator, RR

48341-50010 Bumper, RR SPR

48755-50080 Support, RR SU

48553-50080 Cap, Shock Abs

The Lexus place quoted me appx $4000 to do this conversion. I got the list of parts, which total appx $2300 at the dealer, but only appx $1600 + shipping from Carson Toyota.

Carson Toyota:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0