Steering Solenoid Filter For 98+

alsalih

Ok, I know that there is tons of information and pictures on removing the steering solenoid and cleaning the filter screen for earlier LS models, however I can't find a single thing about doing it on the 98+ models. The 98+ has what appears to be the solenoid attached to the side of the rack on a bracket with a single bolt attaching it to the rack assembly. It's not attached with the large nut found on earlier models. I removed the bolt today, however something keeps me from pulling the solenoid completely out so I decided not to force it. Please let me know if anyone has been able to remove it.

Cheers

My '95's solenoid screwed directly in to the pressure valve, and I didn't have to remove any bolts. I just looked at PP Lex, and they show different racks for the '95-'97 and the '98-'00, but I'd bet they are similar.

This is probably one of the best things you can do to your car. My driveway has a ps fluid stain from all of the ps fluid that leaked from the rack prior to cleaning the solenoid, and mine wasn't nearly as dirty as some of them that were posted here. After blasting it with a little carb cleaner, my rack (and driveway!) is nice and dry!

thanks Blake, however it is in fact different on the 98+ models. I wish I had a digital camera to show you guys. The solenoid is integral with a bracket that has a single bolt hole on the side of it holding it in place.

• 4 years later...

Hi! New owner here with a very slight leak out of the rack. Can anyone verify that a 1998 LS400 has this filter and its location? How about a picture so I could see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Thanks a ton!

By the way... I can't believe it took so long to every buy one of these cars. Absolutely incredible and mine is a '98 with 110k on it already.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif

• 3 years later...