Which Ipod Adapter For 2002 LS430?

SWG

Hi Folks,

I've got a 2002 LS430 with Mark Levinson stereo + navigation. I just bought an Apple iPod 30GB model. From the posts it looks like a direct connection will produce the best quality audio.

Which kit is recommended? I want the direct connection as well as a mounting for my iPod. I'd love to hear from those who've done this.

Thanks!

Scott

I've got a new-to-me 2002 LS430 with the same question. I've been looking at the VAIS systems, and would appreciate any advice. BTW--is 32K too much for a Black, tan leather, CPO'd, car with ML/Nav? 36K mi, and looks brand spanking new. Dealaer threw in new mats, laest Nav DVD installed, and cut a great deal on 2 additional years of CPO warranty.

I've got a new-to-me 2002 LS430 with the same question. I've been looking at the VAIS systems, and would appreciate any advice. BTW--is 32K too much for a Black, tan leather, CPO'd, car with ML/Nav? 36K mi, and looks brand spanking new. Dealaer threw in new mats, laest Nav DVD installed, and cut a great deal on 2 additional years of CPO warranty.

Price sounds fair to me. BTW now there's a VAIS ad on this thread. Lol! Still looking for hands-on experience.

Scott

I just installed the VAIS unit on my friend's '04 Prius, and I have one in a box for my LS430...I've been waiting for my Parrot bluetooth kit to show up as I only want to take the car apart once (this the new SLI series not the old AVC).

This guy on the CL forums put one in his '01 LS and from what I can tell it works the same way the one in the Prius does. You will see the iPod come up as an MD changer, and the Playlist name will come up as the album name, and the song name is displayed too. You can also control the iPod from the unit; if you press the scan button 8 times in a row the headunit will release it from it's control. The track + and - buttons will still work but you won't see the info on the display. Most of the time you'll probably want to stash it somewhere out of sight and use the stereo controls.

The SLI plugs into the dock port (I was thinking of installing a cradle for it) and it charges the ipod while the stereo is controlling it. Sound quality on the Prius with the JBL sound system was fantastic....apparently the the ML system sounds even better.

Installation on the Prius was pretty easy, the LS is more complicated. You have to take off the 2 lower trim panels and the CD changer door and there are a bunch of screws to remove as well so you can pull the head unit out to get to the plug on the back. The wire can be run from the back of the unit to the lower glove box, where you actually tuck the unit away (apparently they periodically release upgraded software, and they also have a pretty friendly upgrade policy on the unit itself).

As far as Ipod systems go this is the best one I've seen so far. I know Denison makes one that is simliar but doesn't have quite as many features and I don't know if it works with the earlier models of the LS or not. The SLI also adds an additional AUX port, for a DVD player or whatever else you want. They say they are coming out with a combo ipod/xm unit by the end of the year.

When I finally do it I will post pix....

I just installed the VAIS unit on my friend's '04 Prius, and I have one in a box for my LS430...I've been waiting for my Parrot bluetooth kit to show up as I only want to take the car apart once (this the new SLI series not the old AVC).

This guy on the CL forums put one in his '01 LS and from what I can tell it works the same way the one in the Prius does. You will see the iPod come up as an MD changer, and the Playlist name will come up as the album name, and the song name is displayed too. You can also control the iPod from the unit; if you press the scan button 8 times in a row the headunit will release it from it's control. The track + and - buttons will still work but you won't see the info on the display. Most of the time you'll probably want to stash it somewhere out of sight and use the stereo controls.

The SLI plugs into the dock port (I was thinking of installing a cradle for it) and it charges the ipod while the stereo is controlling it. Sound quality on the Prius with the JBL sound system was fantastic....apparently the the ML system sounds even better.

Installation on the Prius was pretty easy, the LS is more complicated. You have to take off the 2 lower trim panels and the CD changer door and there are a bunch of screws to remove as well so you can pull the head unit out to get to the plug on the back. The wire can be run from the back of the unit to the lower glove box, where you actually tuck the unit away (apparently they periodically release upgraded software, and they also have a pretty friendly upgrade policy on the unit itself).

As far as Ipod systems go this is the best one I've seen so far. I know Denison makes one that is simliar but doesn't have quite as many features and I don't know if it works with the earlier models of the LS or not. The SLI also adds an additional AUX port, for a DVD player or whatever else you want. They say they are coming out with a combo ipod/xm unit by the end of the year.

Hi,

I live in Nashville and will be buying a 2003 LS 430 with Nav/ML in the next few weeks. I am interested in the ipod system you have installed in the Prius (and have one for your LS430). Do I buy the unit from the manufacturer and have it installed at a local stereo shop or what? I really don't want just "anyone" working on my car but I know my limitations and car electronics is ONE of them. LOL

I purchased both units from VAIS tech directly from their group buy. They were very easy to deal with and they shipped it almost immediately.

Mattazuma (the user in the CL forums) said that it cost about $100 at the dealer to have them install it. From an electrical standpoint it involves unplugging the av link bus from the back of the cd/cassette unit and attaching the vaistech harness and then plugging the harness into the vehicle electrical system and then connecting the harness to the Vaistech unit; the big challenge is getting to it. It's all plug and play and the instructions provided by VAIStech are pretty comprehensive.

There is nothing that elaborate about installing the unit; the greatest danger in the LS is scratching or denting the wood trim on the pieces you have to remove to get to it. I admit I'm still wondering if I should just suck it up and pay the dealer to install my unit as well.

The ML system is definitely worth the extra cost however...it rocks!

Hi,

I live in Nashville and will be buying a 2003 LS 430 with Nav/ML in the next few weeks. I am interested in the ipod system you have installed in the Prius (and have one for your LS430). Do I buy the unit from the manufacturer and have it installed at a local stereo shop or what? I really don't want just "anyone" working on my car but I know my limitations and car electronics is ONE of them. LOL

I purchased both units from VAIS tech directly from their group buy. They were very easy to deal with and they shipped it almost immediately.

Mattazuma (the user in the CL forums) said that it cost about $100 at the dealer to have them install it. From an electrical standpoint it involves unplugging the av link bus from the back of the cd/cassette unit and attaching the vaistech harness and then plugging the harness into the vehicle electrical system and then connecting the harness to the Vaistech unit; the big challenge is getting to it. It's all plug and play and the instructions provided by VAIStech are pretty comprehensive.

There is nothing that elaborate about installing the unit; the greatest danger in the LS is scratching or denting the wood trim on the pieces you have to remove to get to it. I admit I'm still wondering if I should just suck it up and pay the dealer to install my unit as well.

The ML system is definitely worth the extra cost however...it rocks!

Hi,

Just so I understand, you are saying that it only costs $100 for a LEXUS Dealer to install one of these systems. I don't know of ANY Lexus Dealer that does ANYTHING for only $100! :wacko:

I know right? i haven't quoted it but that's what the guy on the CL posting said he paid.

You are talking like 30 min of labor max here. A good audio installer would also be able to do it.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely order the VAIS unit. I'm glad to hear that the dealer can probably install it. I don't want to risk scratching the wood paneling.

What about mounting of the ipod itself? Any recommendations? I don't want it sliding around when I take corners at high speeds.