Speedo Needle Unlit

OmarG

Hey guys i have a question about the LS400 gauges. When a needle is unlit is the proplem a bad capacitor or somthing else? I've searched all over the forums and have yet to find a solid answer. i really want my speedo neede lit up but like everyone i dont want to spend too much. I'm pretty handy so If i got the instructions i'm sure i could do it. Thanks guys.

-omar

No, this problem does not involve capacitors. The needles have a conductive coating on the back. The needles start to lose illumination when this coating cracks and breaks the continuity of the circuit.

The various people who do Lexus instrument panel repairs (Jim Walker, DashUSA, MrWhizard, and others) can repair these needles. I was having the non-illumination problem and dimming needles on my 93 LS in 2004. I sent the instrument cluster to Jim Walker and he repaired both problems. As I recall, he charged $25.00 per needle.

To my knowledge, no one has yet figured out the right substance to use for a do it yourself repair to these needles. The folks who have this info are not sharing it.

No, this problem does not involve capacitors. The needles have a conductive coating on the back. The needles start to lose illumination when this coating cracks and breaks the continuity of the circuit.

The various people who do Lexus instrument panel repairs (Jim Walker, DashUSA, MrWhizard, and others) can repair these needles. I was having the non-illumination problem and dimming needles on my 93 LS in 2004. I sent the instrument cluster to Jim Walker and he repaired both problems. As I recall, he charged $25.00 per needle.

To my knowledge, no one has yet figured out the right substance to use for a do it yourself repair to these needles. The folks who have this info are not sharing it.

I can give a hint but not whole repair process option 1 is find a neon shop and ask them if they can fix cold cathodes or 2 is go to a electronic store not best buy a geek electronic store and ask for Nickle Plate. Remove needle from cluster and fix hairline cracks in the black coating by filling the cracks with Nickle Plate Its like a sodder but does not require heat But this will be a temporary fix. Jim Walker replaced all my needles and i wish it cost 25.00 He charged me 200.00 ea for speedo and tach and traded a 92 complete cluster for fuel and temp. I tried these processes and ended up buying new needles anyway Jim might recondition needles cheaper than replacing them, Jim and I figured the old needles wouldnt match because he told me reconditioned needles were brighter than OEM So i went all new so this wouldnt be a issue for about 160k If you need Jim's # PM me

hmm $200 to fix an unlit needle.... I would have to work for 28+ hours just to pay for a needle light . Maybe i'll just paint the tip in glow in the dark paint just so i can see it better. Man i'm ghetto. I will try to find nickel plate.

Does this work for totally unlit needles?

how about a little more than a hint? are you sworn to secrecy?

Well i have decided to go the ghetto route. For now anyways. Im gonna buy some white glow in the dark paint

and paint some pinstripe tape and tape it to the needle. Then buy a UV black light and plug it in the cig lighter and charge the paint the uv light at night. or... install a uv light in the cluster and make it have independant power. Ohh ghetto fabulous indeed.

haha i will do this one weekend.

i will keep yall updated.