Vibration

My 98 GS 300 had a vibration problem at 60 mph. The vibration was slight, but still a nuisance. Upon advice of a Lexus dealer, I bought a new set of Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires (they were needed any way). The new tires were installed and balanced (I observed the technician balance the tires). However, this did not fix the vibration problem. I then took the car back to the tire dealer (NTB), and they rebalanced the wheels and tires. Result: the vibration problem completely went away!! The ride is now smooth as silk at all speeds. I think the 60-mph vibration problem was due to the need for very careful balancing of the wheels. Just wanted to contribute this.

report this to your Lexus service manager. They may need to retrain the tech that performed your balance there, or they may need to check their balance machine. It won't get attended to if they don't know about it.

This recently happened to my friend. It turned to be technician error.

steviej

Just to clarify, the Michelin tires were installed by a tire dealer (NTB), not my Lexus dealer. I drove on the Michelin tires with the vibration for about 9 months (it was just a small nuisance...only occurred at speeds between 60-70 mph). The vibration was the same as with the prior set of tires (they were another brand). This is why I think that the key to fixing the problem was a careful balance job. By the way, NTB rebalanced the tires at no charge. I'm posting this because I saw some other comments on the Lexus club boards about vibration at 60 mph.