Cel & "trac Off"

Ralph

Can some one help me? I have a 2003 IS300 (manual) and yesterday I was driving through a thunderstorm and at some point I think after hitting a puddle my CEL came on and the 'Trac Off' light began flashing. I tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect but that only work for about 10 mins then the CEL came back on and the trac light was flashing again. I have not done any mods to the car (yet); It's stock, and it has about 40,000 on it. What is causing this and how can I fix it? Thanks

Ralph,

There are any number of combinations of sensors that may have triggered the CEL and TRAC off lights to come on. The combination of the two means your car has gone into "safety mode". Resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery) may work but usually does not because the trigger is still there.

The simplest solution is to go to Autozone and have them retrieve the code(s) that are stored in the ECU. This is a free service. Write down all the codes and post them back here. We can further help once we know the trouble codes.

steviej

The code I got was P0057 'HO25 Bank 2 Sen 2 Heater Circuit Low' my understanding is this is the O2 Sensor at the bottom of the exhaust. My next question is, when I went to pick up an O2 sensor there were to types OE Bosh (not in stock) and Universal Bosh (in stock and cheaper); is there a mechanical difference or are they basically the same other than the fact I have the splice the wire?

Ralph

Thank you guys for the help, I'm still a bit lost; I can't figure out which sensor I need to change, the code is asking me to change 'bank 2 sensor 2' which I assumed was the one on the bottom (because this started while I was driving through a storm and hit a big puddle of water). Do you know which one that might be? and if possible could you give me a part#? I appreciate all your help.

Ralph

My recommendation would be to take it to the dealer.

I had a similar issue happen to my 02 at about the same mileage.

At 40,000 miles you are still under warranty correct?

They fixed the bad 02 sensor free of charge and provided me with a loaner while they did it.

Hope this helps!

My recommendation would be to take it to the dealer.

I had a similar issue happen to my 02 at about the same mileage.

At 40,000 miles you are still under warranty correct?

They fixed the bad 02 sensor free of charge and provided me with a loaner while they did it.

Hope this helps!

I missed that part. AF and O2 sensors are covered under the 4 year/50k mile standard warranty. Take it back to them. Problem solved.

steviej