Feeze-12, A Replacement For R-12

jhussain

Hello!

Is Freeze-12 is a good replacement for R12 for LS400?

There are kits available on ebay to charge the A/c system with Freeze-12 without doing any thing to R-12 system. Is that a good way to do that?

I will appreciate a good thorough reply, please.

Thanks.

I am not too familiar with Freeze-12, but i heard you still need a conversion kit, but I am not sure.

Anyone has experience with this Freeze-12? If I use the conversion kit, what else to do to put this gas?

Thanks.

I am not too familiar with Freeze-12, but i heard you still need a conversion kit, but I am not sure.

Anyone has experience with this Freeze-12? If I use the conversion kit, what else to do to put this gas?

Thanks.

Google is our friend...

http://freeze12.net/

http://freeze-12.com/

I have been reading on Google and the site you mentioned but not enough info to relate to LS400. Do you have any experience in this or have read anywhere else?

Thanks.

Well essentially, all refrigeration systems are the same in any car and thus, from freeze12.net:

"What is involved in a retrofit to Freeze 12 ?

The law requires that the existing refrigerant in the system be evacuated and unique fittings and a label be installed with any replacement refrigerant. Also, if the A/C system being converted is equipped with a High Pressure Relief Valve, a High Pressure Cutout Switch must be installed in accordance with EPA SNAP regulations. Use of Freeze 12 does not require that the lubricant or other components be changed."

Repeat: Use of Freeze 12 does not require that the lubricant or other components be changed.

MORE SPECIFIC CONVERSION PROCEDURE HERE...

Thing is, freeze12 is not a complete 'conversion' per se but a replacement for R12. The federal requirements are that there is a different fitting so that it wouldnt be possible to put the wrong gas into the system accidentally, causing possible explosion. Then there's the label to show that it's been changed.

Well essentially, all refrigeration systems are the same in any car and thus, from freeze12.net:

"What is involved in a retrofit to Freeze 12 ?

The law requires that the existing refrigerant in the system be evacuated and unique fittings and a label be installed with any replacement refrigerant. Also, if the A/C system being converted is equipped with a High Pressure Relief Valve, a High Pressure Cutout Switch must be installed in accordance with EPA SNAP regulations. Use of Freeze 12 does not require that the lubricant or other components be changed."

Repeat: Use of Freeze 12 does not require that the lubricant or other components be changed.

MORE SPECIFIC CONVERSION PROCEDURE HERE...

Thing is, freeze12 is not a complete 'conversion' per se but a replacement for R12. The federal requirements are that there is a different fitting so that it wouldnt be possible to put the wrong gas into the system accidentally, causing possible explosion. Then there's the label to show that it's been changed.

I have read what you listed above and also have been reading other sites also. In your opinion, is it safe to use this Freeze-12 in the 1991 LS400 after the required conversion? Based on the info, the only thing to be done is to evacuate the remaining R-12 and then recharge with Freeze-12.

Thanks,

The stuff is designed specifically to run in a system originally built for R12 and from all the sites i've read the stuff seems to work without issue.

http://www.technicalchemical.com/pdf-files/techtip5.pdf

Check that out.

I've been reading some forums too and a lot of people seem to say it works fine, just hasnt been marketed too well i guess.

I would try it if i need to...

A couple of years ago, I tried unsuccessfully to recharge the a/c on my father-in-law's 93 Nissan (R-12 system) using an R-134a conversion kit. Brought the car to a mechanic who charged it up with Freeze-12 and it's been fine ever since.

A couple of years ago, I tried unsuccessfully to recharge the a/c on my father-in-law's 93 Nissan (R-12 system) using an R-134a conversion kit. Brought the car to a mechanic who charged it up with Freeze-12 and it's been fine ever since.

Thanks. It looks like I am getting some positive responses on this issue.

Thanks,

• 7 months later...

I have had good luck with a product called "Duracool" in R12 mobile systems. No conversion required, inexpensive and actually refrigerates better than R12. Can be added on top of R12. Google search will find online source.

Regards, Ed

• 2 weeks later...

"I was checking EPA website and they mentioned that this Duracool is a flammable material and not recommended for Auto use."

It is true that Duracool is flammable, but the auto ignition temp is 1635 Deg F. R 134a is a couple of hundred degrees lower than that. Which is safer. Either won't burn until all the plastic parts on your engine have been consumed. Also there is less than a pound of the material in the whole system.

As I said I have had really good luck with the stuff.

Regards, Ed