A/c Problem

sebastor

I have A/C problem. My 91 ls400 is not blowing any air even after recharge.

Before i have recharged it when i turned on a/c sounded like compressor

was making grinding noices. After recharge stoped making these noices

but now a/c light on the LCD is flashing. Anyone had similar problem with ls400.

I have my buddy check out the noice and he said that a/c compressor is dead.

Can you guys give me some pointers. thanx.

Your compressor is locked up and your a/c system is probably full of metal fragments now. I had the same problem and best price I could find for a compressor was Pace Compressors in Tampa, Fl. This will be a fairly expensive repair job if you take it to a shop. Your 91 originally had R12 freon installed, has someone converted it to R134A gas? If so, and the conversion wasn't done properly, that could be the cause of the failure. If it wasn't converted before, you will probably need to do it during the repair. You should change all the 0-rings in the system and have a thorough system flush to get all the metal debris and the old mineral oil used with the R12 systems. The R134 systems use a PAG synthetic oil and the two oils are not compatible. Good luck.

Curt

While many of us would be capable of changing a compressor, the replacement of the "O" rings and flushing the system is beyond our scope. I'll assume that when metal particles circulate, the fill the evaporator and condensor as well.

It would be helpful if someone who has done this job before would post a detailed, step-by-step description of the procedure. If there is already something posted in one of the mechanical forums, please ket us know. I looked but didn't see anything.

My compressor doesn't run, but it never flashes the green light either. Just a code 21 and 33.

Thanks

I noticed that all of you guys assume that there will be metal particules in rest of the system....how so ? I think my compressor have seized not fell apart to pieces. I don't follow you guys ...please explain !!

My and my freind theory (who is ac/electician...but not on cars) is that due to someone putting new ac freon without flushing it first from old; both of them mixed and compressor have seized. I don't see have it would fell apart to pieces inside. please explain.

My friend said he will change that for me for $50 (again he is ac repairman but not on cars) and i plan to spend $299 on compressor.

So that is $350 instead of someone spending $2000 in lexus dealer.

The only problem that worries me now is you guys saying metal particules in the system. Maybe one of you guys had that case but assume that everyone will :blink: .....why ?