Could Be Moving To California

Fidgits

Hi Guys,

I've dropped over from the UK forums, as I have a chance to move to California with my company...

and i was hoping for some help from anyone who lives there...

Mainly interested in how to find places to rent - and general living costs..

Also interested in where to find used cars on the web, and get online quotes etc..

anything else you could help with would be appreciated!

BTW nice to see your name somewhere else beside ash racing.

I know there are a few constant members who live in that area who could help.

The LOC US map should have some memebrs in the area to contact.

Check my sig.

Fid, welcome to this side of the pond..potentially....

I'm in California right now...have been for the past three weeks. I'm from North Carolina, but out here for work...... Here is my take on California...warning: I'm in a very glossy area though...

It is very well packaged. I'm in Newport Beach area, which is one of the wealthiest areas in the US. It's about 60 miles south down the coast from LA. It's very nice...but to me, in all honesty, seems to lack a certain level of "character" that fits me. I mean no harm by that statement to anyone from here. Everyone has been very nice. But it seems like everything is soooooo perfectly polished, that it lacks those "character lines". Last weekend my wife and I rented a convertible and went up the coast to Hollywood, Rodeo, a little stalker-ratzie on some celebertie homes...It was fun! Beverly Hills is something to see! It was nice to see some old school LS400's parked in some driveways around the Beverly Hill's country club "the ritz of the ritz section."

Then we headed south down the coast on the Pacific Coast Highway towards San Diego. We stayed in Old San Diego which is about 15 north from downtown... It's like Old Mexico, and we had a lot of fun. We went to Tijuana Mexico.....don't go there, it sucks! Especially when you come back over the boarder back to the US. We were in Tijuana for 45 minutes...and stood in line for 2 1/2 hours at the border to come back....it was hell!!! Definetely a whole different ballgame since 9/11.

Then we went to the mountains to Big Bear Lake, which is about 90 miles southeast of LA in San Bernidino. A whole different world up there. We were at 7,600 feet and it was 68 degrees (f). 20 Minutes later heading down the back side of the mountain to Apple Valley, it was 112 degrees (f). I ran across the dessert valley at 105 mph in a chrystler sebring convertible, with the top down. And we still got cooked! It was one of the most beautiful sites I've ever seen before in my life....And I've been around a few places... We had a BLAST!

BUT: If you have allergies, then you want to make sure you can afford to live outside of the metropolitian areas, because the pollution "smog" is absolutly unbelievably bad. It get's soooo bad, that you can't even see the mountain 5 miles behind your house. It was very hard for me to breathe in San Bernadino due to the smog. AND make sure you're properly compensated to make the move...Don't act like you're willing to come here for nothing, just because you want to. It's EXPENSIVE to live here. Gas prices are around $3.40 a gallon. Now to you that might not seem that bad, but to the rest of the USA, it's the most expensive place to buy gas. Also, real estate prices are the highest in the country "outside of Naples Florida". It's unbelievable. Here in the Newport Beach area, from what I hear, a 2,000 SqFt home costs around $700,000. Now back in NC, that same home costs around $175,000 - $250,000. So make sure your income adjustment is in line with the cost of living.

Come on over amigo, you'll love the USA for sure! Each state is like it's own country; each with something completely unique and different to see. And if you ever find yourself in North Carolina...well....I've got an open-ended policy for free BBQ'.... :cheers:

PS: I'm on the 1st flight out of here this Saturday back to my home in NC....and I'm already packed, ready to go! Love this place, but it's not for me. Too many Ferrari's, Lambo's, Bently's etc.... for me. So much of the best, takes away the appeal of the best. I'm more than happy with being floored by seeing the Magnum PI Ferrari every now and then running down the highway back in NC. ;)

YAY someone coming to my neighborhood. San Francisco. San Jose is definately cheaper than san francisco, about 45 minutes apart. You better start searching fast because people are expanding out of SF because of its prices and people are taking advantage of them. If your planning to stay for long, there are A LOT of new condos that are being built, but im sure their are a lot of apartments (sorry i dont know any numbers of info, not in the area). If you do find someone who can help you, try these other cities that are closer than San francisco like Burlingame/Millbrae, Cupertino, Redwood City....

Im not going to lie, its costly living in the bay area. If you dont make at least 3.5K a month, you will not do as well (i mean middle class). Apartment costs can range from $800-$1200

Some places you can get cars online are

www.autotrader.com

www.yahoo.com (find the cars area)

hope this helps

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input so far...

I forgot to mention - ive worked for the company for 5 years, and visited California 3 times a year every year with them, so I know the area, and recenly vacationed around San Diego/PCH1/Yosemite etc..

I agree, it really is a fantastic place, stunning place to visit, but living somewhere is a different..

I'm trying to figure out the tax side of things - it seems pretty complex over there, and i guess i do need to talk money with the company before going too far...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input so far...

I forgot to mention - ive worked for the company for 5 years, and visited California 3 times a year every year with them, so I know the area, and recenly vacationed around San Diego/PCH1/Yosemite etc..

I agree, it really is a fantastic place, stunning place to visit, but living somewhere is a different..

I'm trying to figure out the tax side of things - it seems pretty complex over there, and i guess i do need to talk money with the company before going too far...

Well if you need help with buying cars, i know a couple good dealers here in Fresno (if your willing to come down here) to get you a good deal. I've always known a guy at Honda, and since I recently bought the 4Runner, I also know a good person at Toyota now. PM me if you want more info. :)

As for a Lexus guy, uhh, well not too sure about him YET. :o ;)

Cheers Den - I might take you up on that...

I had hoped to get a convertible - but it seems your driving history starts at square 1 unfortunatly! so perhaps something small and boring will be the way to go :(

hey fidgets if you make a good living wage in the u.k. than california shouldnt be a hard transition, The u.k. is far more expensive(for the u.s. dollar) than vice versa. Isnt london currently the most expensive city in the wqorld to live in? next being new york and then san francisco, i think. check out craigslist.org and it will give you an idea of what youll be in for as far as housing. And sanjose is kinda a suberb of s.f. i think so if your used to the city you could conceivably live in sf and commute to san jose, plus there are a ton of good cheap used ls400's here in so.cal if you need to pick up transportation. Good luck.