Reaching 90,000 Miles

my car is nearly reaching the 90,000 mile mark and i wanted to look into replacing the engine mounts and the transmission mounts. for the age of the vehicle and the milage, exactly which engine mounts should i be concerned in replacing? ive looked at toyotaandlexusparts.com for the mounts but im confused on which is what, b/c it gives you so many part numbers. does anybody know the exact part number of each of the mounts?

thanks

I was kind of wondering the same thing... why? Do you think they're going bad? My '98 has 140k and my mounts seem to be holding up fine...

Dogbone & front mount.

Engine mounts are like struts & springs. They wear out gradually & most people don't know it until they're really bad. It's also very hard to inspect the mounts. Since the rubber is normally under light compression, it makes it difficult to see splits in it without taking it out & wrenching on it to expose them.

With the engine running, reach over & pull the throttle wide open. If the engine rocks an inch. At the least the dogbone is shot.

toysrme, ill have to check and see if the engine does make any movements, but if were to - would that be noticeable while driving?

my concern for primarily changing the mounts esp. the transmission mount is that i can feel it shifting (more than i did before when the car had less miles) through 1st and 2nd and somewhat 3rd gears. im sure its not my tranny fluid b/c not too long ago i installed a aux. tranny filter (as so many of you have recommended) and the fluid is as red as can be. but maybe again it might just be normal wear and tear.

I dont know that I would go through the hassle and expense of replacing all the tranny and motor mounts just because you can feel it shifting a little more than it used to...

I dont know that I would go through the hassle and expense of replacing all the tranny and motor mounts just because you can feel it shifting a little more than it used to...

just focusing on the tranny mounts, exactly how many are there?

Offhand, just one accessable from the driver's side wheel well.

But it's the dogbone mount (upper torsional mount) that is responcible for fighting the majority of the torque the engine creates, followed by the front mount & shock absorber. (newton's third law. If the crankshaft, etc spin one direction, the engine block wants to spin the opposite, with ane qual amount of force)

When they wear out, it feels like the engine & transmission are clunking around when you step on, or off the gas, or the transmission changes gears.

It can be sorta hard to tell on these cars. They are damped a ton in the steering, have tons of sound padding & it's more of a "feel" type of thing.

I agree with them, I wouldn't go needlessly changing mounts. Unless you just want to drive here & pay me to do it! :D :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so is transmission mount very unlikely to go bad i can tell my dogbone one is done....but I wonder if the clunkign you describe(exactly my problem from steppig off on gas is from tranny mount or just the dogbone) from dealer how much is tranny mount...