Wider Tires

Jacob

Hello everyone,

I’m thinking about replacing my LS400 tires (225-60-16) with wider ones: either 235-55-16 or 245-45-16. But I’m concerned about one thing: would the wheel alignment need to be adjusted because of the wider tires?

Thank you

1996 LS400, 140k

I don't remember ever reading anything that said that the alignment should be altered when using plus-size tires. Here is a link to a Tirerack article on alignment which also discusses "performance alignment" towards the bottom of the article: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...;currentpage=17

Several manufacturers used to market 245/55-16 tires which give a nearly perfect speedometer reading on an LS made to use 225/60-16 tires on seven inch wide wheels. Here are some from Toyo: http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/2219/

245-45-16 introduces a very large speedometer error - 7.29% - according to http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Generally speaking, as tire width increases, and profile height decreases, the alignment must be more accurate, and the steering parts must have less play as the allowable tolerances become tighter. Camber is best held to near zero with wider tires, and toe-in becomes critical as wide tires will accentuate "tramlining", which is the tendancy of the car to follow ruts in the road. For the sizes you are contemplating, probably the present alignment is fine if it is still within specs. However, if you are spending a grand on tires, a good $60.00 four wheel alignment is an excellent idea.

1990LS400,

Thank you. You’re correct about the tire sizes. What a shame that the 245-55-16 tire is not available on tirerack… $141 is a little bit more than what I was planning to spend.

SKperformance and SRK,

Thank you for the explanation.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about the absolutely widest tires that will fit but I can tell you that the 98-00 LS400 sold in the U.K. with the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) came with 245/50-17 tires on 17" wheels. (You might want to search the U.K. forum.) That is a big increase over the standard 225's. The U.K. DHP models also came with revised springs that lowered the car a bit -- maybe some other suspension modifications - don't remember. I have noticed that some in the U.K. think that the DHP package makes the ride too firmly but others seem to like the handling improvement.

I don't know about the absolutely widest tires that will fit but I can tell you that the 98-00 LS400 sold in the U.K. with the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) came with 245/50-17 tires on 17" wheels. (You might want to search the U.K. forum.) That is a big increase over the standard 225's. The U.K. DHP models also came with revised springs that lowered the car a bit -- maybe some other suspension modifications - don't remember. I have noticed that some in the U.K. think that the DHP package makes the ride too firmly but others seem to like the handling improvement.

Thanks for the reply Bob!

I went ahead and bought some P235/55WR-17 Pirelli PZero Nerotires.

I thought about it and only wanted to increase the footprint and height (3/4") slightly so I wouldn't affect tire wear and the ride.

Got a good deal at tirerack on the Pirellis (100.00 ea) They got some good reviews. I'll post after I get 'em and a few miles on 'em.

Cheers! :cheers: