What Do You Guys Think?

Hello,

Just looking for some opinions and/or advise. A while back as some of you may have read I have made my K & N FIPK intake (Like SRT) into a CAI by dropping the tubing and filter down into the wheel well. It sounds, looks and works great however I was thinking how I can feed more air into the area in my wheel well where the filter is?

I decided to try to fabricate a type of ram air (BFI) utilizing the stock air scoop that was located behind the grille with the stock setup. I had to cut this air scoop almost in half (horizontally NOT vertically) so I can fit it in the original location (between the grille and my K& N intake piping going to the throttle body). Now I have to fabricate some type of tubing/duct to go from that air scoop down to the wheel well where my filter is now located. Do you think I will benefit from this DIY? I just figured that now I have the filter away from the hot engine bay air... now I need to direct more air to it. Initially I was thinking of making this "ram air" with a scoop of some sort coming through a fog light port or lower air dam, however I read that the best "Stagnation point" (where air velocity is at a maximum) is at the center nose of the vehicle; the grille/bumper right underneath. The lower air dam is STILL effective but not as effective as trying to utilize the incoming air from the grille... however it will be a lot easier and LESS duct to run from the lower air dam to the wheel well. What do you guys think... is it worth it? Should it improve power?

Thanks,

Nick

Personally I would leave well enough alone.I cant imagine there will be any power gains and if so they would be so minimal it wouldnt be worth the trouble.Although its your car and you should do what ever you want with it I never let anyone elses opinion override my own when it comes to my car.Good luck

Personally I would leave well enough alone.I cant imagine there will be any power gains and if so they would be so minimal it wouldnt be worth the trouble.Although its your car and you should do what ever you want with it I never let anyone elses opinion override my own when it comes to my car.Good luck

Well, Lexus has the intake solution pretty well wrapped up in the first place. No need to do any mods short of SC or Turbo. But if it makes you feel good " Do It "

Hey,

I agree with the guys. Even if you do it, you're dumping air from the nose into the wheel well if I understand correctly, but that well is "open" to the atmosphere, so you're not guarateeing that the air is going into your intake. I want to notice s slight increase in power, I would recommend leaving the setup as it is, and getting the TRD performance air filter sold at dealerships or at www.lexus-parts.com.

To me, the factory setup makes more sense than any mod I've seen, the nose scoops a big volume of air, it pushes it through a narrow x-sectional area tube (which speeds it quiet a bit) and then using a low restriction performance filter, you get it to the intakes. I think that's as golden as you can get.

But that's just me

:cheers:

Dont get me wrong an aftermarket intake is much better than stock Im just not sure if adding all this to an intake will be worth the trouble.The stock airbox has some very serious restrictions and can definatly be improved upon.Put on the FIPK and leave it be.