Power Window Wierdness

I have a 92 sc400 and have been experiencing some electrical problems with the power windows. Driver's side door panel switch buzzes and whines while trying to lower or raise window, but doesn't have enough power to move it. Also cannot move the passenger window from either door panel, but no noise occurs. Occasionally if I let the car sit idling for a few minutes the windows work fine, but then stop working moments later.

As well the auto engage door lock when putting the car in Drive occassionally doesn't function.

Everything else seems AOK.

Would this be a battery problem??

I recently had the rad and thermostat replaced.... Could the mechanic have damaged a wire?

Help... as its kinda crappy having to pull up windows by squeezing the glass

it can be alot of things. your switch could be bad or your window components could be bad such as the guide or regulator as they call it. things that could prevent the window from moving freely.

Just a suggestion... this happened to an RX-7 i had...there was a lot of dirt and dust under the button where the conection is, resulting in 1 window not working, and one barely moving. if you are able to take the switches apart try cleaning the connection to the window button, its a start. But personally it sounds like a bad motor.

I don't think its the switch or the motor for the windows because it affects both sides simultaniously. I lose power to both side windows at the same time, and the switches in both doors don't function. Occassionally after the car sits at idle, both windows and both switches in both doors miraculously work, and the windows go up and down just fine. Then they stop working again.

I don't think its the fuse either as the moonroof operates on the same one and functions without any problem.

aaarrrrgh.

maybe ill install window winders

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing similar problems with my 95 SC 400 :cries: . I can hear the motor running when trying to lower the driver' s side but no sound when trying on the passenger. I have also noticed that sometimes my door chime stops, even though the keys are still in the igition and the door is open. Sometimes the headlamps do not go off once the key is removed from the igition and the door is opened. I also hear the sound of my doors locking while I am driving but they are not. Any suggestions on what this may cost to repair?

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing similar problems with my 95 SC 400 :cries: . I can hear the motor running when trying to lower the driver' s side but no sound when trying on the passenger. I have also noticed that sometimes my door chime stops, even though the keys are still in the igition and the door is open. Sometimes the headlamps do not go off once the key is removed from the igition and the door is opened. I also hear the sound of my doors locking while I am driving but they are not. Any suggestions on what this may cost to repair?

My 92 SC300 has same problem. Did you figure it out??

Mine had the same problem, but was intermittent. I wound up disassembling the door and removing the entire wiring harness. . .took it in my house to be comfortable while working(wasn't too hard to do). Afterwards, I started testing all the wires with an ohmmeter which took me a pretty good while. I finally came to one of the wires that was bad as it produced too much resistance. My problem was with a white wire with a black stripe on it and was broken inside the weather boot that connects the door to the car. I pulled it back and respliced the wires together. I believe that your buzzing noise is occurring b/c your window relay doesn't have enough amps to operate the window as that motor takes a lot of power. I also found that my passenger window didn't work either and the drivers window buzzed. Now it works perfectly. My interior lights didn't work correctly before either.

Mine had the same problem, but was intermittent. I wound up disassembling the door and removing the entire wiring harness. . .took it in my house to be comfortable while working(wasn't too hard to do). Afterwards, I started testing all the wires with an ohmmeter which took me a pretty good while. I finally came to one of the wires that was bad as it produced too much resistance. My problem was with a white wire with a black stripe on it and was broken inside the weather boot that connects the door to the car. I pulled it back and respliced the wires together. I believe that your buzzing noise is occurring b/c your window relay doesn't have enough amps to operate the window as that motor takes a lot of power. I also found that my passenger window didn't work either and the drivers window buzzed. Now it works perfectly. My interior lights didn't work correctly before either.

Got my door apart and it looks like if I remove the speaker I'll get close enough to the front of the door to pull the wiring harness out. I'm assuming that I'll find a wiring connection close to the fuse box that I can disconnect. Am I on the right track?

Yes. There are 3 connectors. You will need to pull the carpeting back to get to them. 2 are near the front, one is below the fuse box right below a relay or something. I had to get a screwdriver to pry the clip a bit so that it would release. Mine was a bit hard to release but once released its easy.

As well the auto engage door lock when putting the car in Drive occassionally doesn't function.

Wait a minute. Do all SCs have auto-engaging door locks? Because in the two years I've had my "93SC4 I've never known about this feature. There may have been three or four ocassions when my doors got mysteriously locked "by themselves" - which I would notice when trying to get out of my car, thinking to myself "What the...How in the heck did my doors get locked? No one else is even in the car with me."

Can someone tell me if this is a standard feature that we all (should) have? Also, are the locks supposed to unlock once the key is pulled from the ignition?

Details please. Because now I'm begining to feel like I'm the only one on the planet who doesn't know the earth is round.

I have a 96 and the doors do not autolock. Maybe the newer ones? (98 and up?). The door locking is probably a wiring problem in the harness on the door. These cars seem to be plagued with electrical problems in these b/c I have seen several threads about this on this BBS.