Newbie Questions (i Promised I Did A Search First) :)

So, I'm looking at an IS350.

Quick questions:

1) MP3 CD's are usable right? (I don't have an iPod and don't want to get one)

2) Is there a hack to view DVD's while in motion, etc? (This isn't for me, but for my family while on trips we do it in our Infiniti now and love it) --- I'm assuming, but haven't verified, that it plays Movie DVD's while parked.

3) How is the bluetooth quality of sound?

What are the negatives that I should look out for on this car?

Thanks in advance!

Quick questions:

2) Is there a hack to view DVD's while in motion, etc? (This isn't for me, but for my family while on trips we do it in our Infiniti now and love it) --- I'm assuming, but haven't verified, that it plays Movie DVD's while parked.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can play MP3 cds.

There is a hack to view DVDs while in motion, but it requires the Mark Lev option, as the stock stereo does not support DVDs.

The hack requires the removal of the Navigation screen, and you need to splice a few wires and ground one other.

Once this is done, you'll be able to watch movies and change destinations while the car is in motion.

Without the hack, the ML option does allow for you to watch DVDs in full 7.1 THX Surround, with the car in park with the brake on.

Bluetooth quality is fine, haven't heard any complaints here or elsewhere.

If your phone pairs up without issue, you're in business!

What are the negatives?

Small back seat, and excessive speeding tickets. :D

Quick questions:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can play MP3 cds.

There is a hack to view DVDs while in motion, but it requires the Mark Lev option, as the stock stereo does not support DVDs.

The hack requires the removal of the Navigation screen, and you need to splice a few wires and ground one other.

Once this is done, you'll be able to watch movies and change destinations while the car is in motion.

Without the hack, the ML option does allow for you to watch DVDs in full 7.1 THX Surround, with the car in park with the brake on.

Bluetooth quality is fine, haven't heard any complaints here or elsewhere.

If your phone pairs up without issue, you're in business!

What are the negatives?

Small back seat, and excessive speeding tickets. :D

this is very interesting, which wires do you have to splice? Do you know of anyone that has this done? I have the ML option and it allows me to watch DVD while park with the brake on, but I will like to get it to work while driving also to change destinations. please refer me to the guide or a place where I can see which wires need to be splice. TIA

this is very interesting, which wires do you have to splice? Do you know of anyone that has this done? I have the ML option and it allows me to watch DVD while park with the brake on, but I will like to get it to work while driving also to change destinations. please refer me to the guide or a place where I can see which wires need to be splice. TIA

Please be careful..... :unsure:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193739

Please be careful..... :unsure:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193739

thank you, I will give it a try and let you guys know how it went. thank you guys.

Quick questions:

Thanks in advance!

Your the same person I saw in every Lexus Forum posting the same question, title, everything. And no you didn't search, otherwise you didn't have to ask. Besaid the 3rd question, every other I seen being posted. (Just have to rub it in).

Quick questions:

Thanks in advance!

Your the same person I saw in every Lexus Forum posting the same question, title, everything. And no you didn't search, otherwise you didn't have to ask. Besaid the 3rd question, every other I seen being posted. (Just have to rub it in).

No need for that, I think it would be more beneficial to just answer.

1. yes you are able to play MP3's, select different folders, etc.

2. yes, it's already posted in your post.

3. bluetooth quality it's very good, my friends and family can't seem to tell the difference between when I am in the car or on the actual phone. I have the treo 650 and it seems to work fine.

and to your last questions, negatives, I don't know to be honest, this car is everything I ever wanted at the price paid for. I had BMW's and I also had the 05 G35 coupe, and I seem to like this one a lot better. but that is just my opinion, you have to decide for yourself. good luck.

:angry:

Skydot, that is no way to greet a new member. As a matter of fact you are a new member yourself and I doubt you would have liked a response like that. There is no rule that says someone can't post the same question on multiple forums. I myself belong to three and ask alot of similar questions on all. I am just trying to get the most opinions. As for searching, you don't know if he didn't. I can say that our search engine is thorough but somewhat complexing to use if you are a newbie. Come on, cut the newest guy some slack.

I do understand your feeling, though, sometimes it is hard to read posts from people that do ask questions that have been covered. But sometimes we just have to go with it.

steviej

By the way, in that same forum post I mentioned, there is a kid who removed his center vents and they fell apart.

He updated the forum at like 3am begging for help, and posted pics of his now completely disasembled vent assembly. You could tell the guy was in a complete panic.

Lacking any and all compasion for someone who just took apart their brand new $40,000 vehicle without a clue of what they were doing... I laughed myself silly.

Later in the post, he was able to get it all back together so all was good, but it was still one of the funniest posts I've ever come across.

:D

By the way, in that same forum post I mentioned, there is a kid who removed his center vents and they fell apart.

He updated the forum at like 3am begging for help, and posted pics of his now completely disasembled vent assembly. You could tell the guy was in a complete panic.

Lacking any and all compasion for someone who just took apart their brand new $40,000 vehicle without a clue of what they were doing... I laughed myself silly.

Later in the post, he was able to get it all back together so all was good, but it was still one of the funniest posts I've ever come across.

:D

thank you scott, I talked to some of the people on that forum, and some people are having trouble with it. I rather keep mine the way it is. at least for now, the jumpy navigation, some guy's system no longer works, etc. the negatives outweight the positives. but I thank you for your help.

thank you scott, I talked to some of the people on that forum, and some people are having trouble with it. I rather keep mine the way it is. at least for now, the jumpy navigation, some guy's system no longer works, etc. the negatives outweight the positives. but I thank you for your help.

Sure thing.

I have also seen mixed reviews on the hack.

99.9% are VERY happy with the hack at first and then find that the system is starting to act up after the novelty has worn off and they go back to using it for what is what intended for, navigation.

Of course, Lexus will be of no help warranty wise after you hack their wiring apart.

I think a better idea would to be, order a new set of wiring harnesses, wire them together with the hack instructions and replace the entire harness.

If it starts to act up, you can always revert back to your original equipment.

This is something I'd do when the car was 4 or 5 years old, but I doubt I'd do it on a new IS.

Someday, someone a lot smarter than me will find a better way of getting this functionality.

Until then, enjoy the Mark Lev for what is was intended for... awesome sound.

;)

Sure thing.

I have also seen mixed reviews on the hack.

99.9% are VERY happy with the hack at first and then find that the system is starting to act up after the novelty has worn off and they go back to using it for what is what intended for, navigation.

Of course, Lexus will be of no help warranty wise after you hack their wiring apart.

I think a better idea would to be, order a new set of wiring harnesses, wire them together with the hack instructions and replace the entire harness.

If it starts to act up, you can always revert back to your original equipment.

This is something I'd do when the car was 4 or 5 years old, but I doubt I'd do it on a new IS.

Someday, someone a lot smarter than me will find a better way of getting this functionality.

Until then, enjoy the Mark Lev for what is was intended for... awesome sound.

;)

Yep, I am with you, I agree, and I will definately do this to my Honda civic, but not to my 40k car.

Thanks for the responses... all except for one.

Maybe I suck at searching... ever think of that?

Anyway, I decided the IS rocks, but it's just a little too small. I'm now considering either an ES with all the goodies including ML, or looking at a TL or RL.

My wife has an M35 and the hack for Infiniti is about exactly the same process. I did it in her car, and it's very worth it. It appears you can do this hack on the IS or any Gen V unit of Lexus'.

I just wish the ES drove a little more sporty than it does. It would be a slam dunk otherwise. It's just so cloud-like, and I prefer a little more connected feel. The looks of the ES are ok, but no where near as nice as the IS.

The GS has the Gen IV system in it now which doesn't even play MP3's, and I can't wait for the '07's... and they're above where I want to be price-wise.

The TL doesn't have all the goodies, but it serves my purpose, has a pretty nice audio system (just no DVD video) and is about 10K less than the ES I'm pricing. This makes it a tough call b/c I'm not sure if the extra space, extra technology, and cushy ride are worth 10k more.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! It's much appreciated.

Thanks for the responses... all except for one.

Maybe I suck at searching... ever think of that?

Anyway, I decided the IS rocks, but it's just a little too small. I'm now considering either an ES with all the goodies including ML, or looking at a TL or RL.

My wife has an M35 and the hack for Infiniti is about exactly the same process. I did it in her car, and it's very worth it. It appears you can do this hack on the IS or any Gen V unit of Lexus'.

I just wish the ES drove a little more sporty than it does. It would be a slam dunk otherwise. It's just so cloud-like, and I prefer a little more connected feel. The looks of the ES are ok, but no where near as nice as the IS.

The GS has the Gen IV system in it now which doesn't even play MP3's, and I can't wait for the '07's... and they're above where I want to be price-wise.

The TL doesn't have all the goodies, but it serves my purpose, has a pretty nice audio system (just no DVD video) and is about 10K less than the ES I'm pricing. This makes it a tough call b/c I'm not sure if the extra space, extra technology, and cushy ride are worth 10k more.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! It's much appreciated.

You're in the same boat as I am.

I've been sold on the IS since I drove one back in April but I'm waiting until I can get one with all the toys I want.

Since a special order takes 4 months anyway, I'm waiting for the '07.

But with that wait, comes wandering eyes.

I have a 3yr daughter, so I started looking for slightly larger back seats.

I love the look of the new ES but I feel the same way, it lacks the sporty edge.

I started looking at the TL, but I don't really like the exterior look, and hate the cement like, non-ventilated seats.

I was at Acura last night dealing with some last minute paperwork on the new MDX I bought and was talking about the '07s.

The new TL for '07 will offer a slightly different body style, and also offers back the Type-S complete with 6-Speed manual and over 300HP.

The new '07 G35 offers 300+ HP, AWD, Keyless ignition and Paddle shifts. (Sounds very IS like, Huh?)

Too bad I find them less than attractive... will have to wait and see the 07 in person.

If you decide on the TL, do yourself the favor and wait a few months.

Good luck either way.