Car Wax

lenore

Well consumers just rated a bunch of car waxes, and Black Magic was #1 and Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 was #2. Very interesting as they both out performed many of the waxes that have been described on the site. Both were Liquids. Nu Finish NFP-80 was one of the Best Pastes waxes and Eagle One one of the best Spray waxes. Get your issue and read the article, was very informational.

In my 20s and early 30s I cared about keeping my vehicles in detailed condition and was willing to spend a day every few weeks washing and polishing and waxing and Q-Tipping to keep that detailed look year-round.

Fast forward to present day and I have neither the time nor the desire to keep our vehicles truly detailed - my priorities have changed significantly and it's just not important to me in the grand scheme of things. But I do want to keep the paint moderately protected and the exteriors looking relatively clean most of the time. I've found that a good store-bought carnauba paste wax (I favor Meguire's) used two to three times a year, requiring me to spend from 60 to 75 minutes per vehicle (depending on the vehicle, of course), does the job for me. A big advantage that I start with is simply the fact that for the past fifteen years or so, the only exterior color I will allow in our garage is some variation of white.

You can take detailing to the nth degree if that's how you want to spend your time, but most folks will be perfectly happy with the appearance they can get from basic carnauba wax if they start with a clean finish, apply the wax sparingly in the shade with an old, worn-out cotton washcloth, and then buff it out with old, worn-out cotton towels or better yet, old cotton diapers. Old cotton diapers have never let me down or visibly scratched my exteriors and I'll stay with them until I wear out my stash and can't find any more to replace them.

In my 20s and early 30s I cared about keeping my vehicles in detailed condition and was willing to spend a day every few weeks washing and polishing and waxing and Q-Tipping to keep that detailed look year-round.

Fast forward to present day and I have neither the time nor the desire to keep our vehicles truly detailed - my priorities have changed significantly and it's just not important to me in the grand scheme of things. But I do want to keep the paint moderately protected and the exteriors looking relatively clean most of the time. I've found that a good store-bought carnauba paste wax (I favor Meguire's) used two to three times a year, requiring me to spend from 60 to 75 minutes per vehicle (depending on the vehicle, of course), does the job for me. A big advantage that I start with is simply the fact that for the past fifteen years or so, the only exterior color I will allow in our garage is some variation of white.

You can take detailing to the nth degree if that's how you want to spend your time, but most folks will be perfectly happy with the appearance they can get from basic carnauba wax if they start with a clean finish, apply the wax sparingly in the shade with an old, worn-out cotton washcloth, and then buff it out with old, worn-out cotton towels or better yet, old cotton diapers. Old cotton diapers have never let me down or visibly scratched my exteriors and I'll stay with them until I wear out my stash and can't find any more to replace them.

To be honest this is exactly how I feel too! I really enjoy cleaning and then spend a hour polishing/waxing my car but it seems to get harder and harder to find the time to do it. I do however have a guy that I will call and he will come and detail the car while I am at work...that seems to be my answer now. But the trick is getting it in the garage with out my wife seeing how clean it is. Because if she knows that I have gotten mine cleaned well...her car is next if you know what I mean! :whistles: :whistles: :whistles:

I also do like turtle wax spray...it is easy to put on and take off. I have also used Race Glaze and that is a good product that a lot of body shops use.

I have to get the article and read it, but I;ve heard Consumer Reports wax tests before and their methodology is a little flawed, unfortunately.

I really enjoy detailing as a hobby, but its getting harder for me to find the time to do it too. If I could find a detailer that could wash and detail my car without destroying the paint, I'd hire them. At least for weekly washes.