Waxing Wheels?

Timothy,

Sure you can, the wheels are painted and clearcoated just like the car's paint so you can use anything on the wheels that you can use on the paint.

Now, the wheels get MUCH hotter than the paint does, so a wax is going to evaporate quickly. You're better off to use a sealant like Zaino or Klasse that can better withstand the temperature.

Timothy,

Sure you can, the wheels are painted and clearcoated just like the car's paint so you can use anything on the wheels that you can use on the paint.

Now, the wheels get MUCH hotter than the paint does, so a wax is going to evaporate quickly. You're better off to use a sealant like Zaino or Klasse that can better withstand the temperature.

Does anyone else remove their wheels once in a while for cleaning, or am I just insane?

I can get them pretty clean by washing and waxing them, but to get them like brand new, and to get into the back side of the wheels, I remove them.

Ya know, wash, wax and rotate at the same time.

I do have to try one of those suggested sealants though.

The wax certainly doesn't last too long.

Oh, absolutely! I don't do that but I know MANY MANY people that take their wheels off so they can clean and seal the insides and the wheel wells.

You should check out the detailing forums on www.autopia.org ;) Removing the wheels is nothin! lol

Oh, absolutely! I don't do that but I know MANY MANY people that take their wheels off so they can clean and seal the insides and the wheel wells.

You should check out the detailing forums on www.autopia.org ;) Removing the wheels is nothin! lol

I took the wheels off my 4 by 4 truck to clean the inside, ice and crap inside made them way off. balance way off. I'll do that with my 04 es this year, getting new rims from the dealer, had some bad spots on all 4 rims, they looked at them, said thats not good. new rims on order. that was too easy. my dealer, Meade Lexus mi. treats customers great. let you know how things go.

Timothy

I've always heard that wheels get hotter, but I've never been able to verify it. Do they get hotter in intown driving or on highway? I've actually felt my wheels after both. They seem to feel cool (not really cool, but not really too warm) -- certainly cooler than the rest of the car (my RX is black). I admit that I haven't felt them more than a few times after driving, but I have done it -- usually during a wash after a trip or right after I get home from work.

I've always heard that wheels get hotter, but I've never been able to verify it. Do they get hotter in intown driving or on highway? I've actually felt my wheels after both. They seem to feel cool (not really cool, but not really too warm) -- certainly cooler than the rest of the car (my RX is black). I admit that I haven't felt them more than a few times after driving, but I have done it -- usually during a wash after a trip or right after I get home from work.

Think about this...

The wheels are bolted to the brake rotors.

As you use the brakes, the rotors get very hot.

That heat transfers to the wheels.

;)

Scott M, I think I wasn't clear. I understand the theory. It is the evidence that I question. City or hwy driving (and braking) in my limited experience have not resulted in "hot wheels." Has anyone actually observed/experienced this (e.g., "I touched the wheel and I still have scar from the 3rd degree burn" or "I roasted marshmallows after driving down a hill...")?