'04 Ls430 Ml System - Speakers Go Off

mdpresco

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with a Mark Levinson system. When the car is cold, the sound system plays normally. After 30 to 40 minutes of continuous listening (car setting in driveway or being driven), the speakers will go off. Turning the volume to MAX - not even a faint sound.

If you let the car set and turn the ignition to ACC with the audio on, the speakers will work for about 1 - 2 seconds then go off.

With the audio system off, turn the car to ACC then turn the system on - no sound whatsoever.

The navigation system voice does work when the ML system sound does not!

I pushed in the connector on the amp (RH side in the trunk?) and no luck. I could do a lot more if I know where to start. I hate to buy an amp when the problem may be something else a lot cheaper.

This car goes off lease in a few weeks and I need to fix if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with a Mark Levinson system. When the car is cold, the sound system plays normally. After 30 to 40 minutes of continuous listening (car setting in driveway or being driven), the speakers will go off. Turning the volume to MAX - not even a faint sound.

If you let the car set and turn the ignition to ACC with the audio on, the speakers will work for about 1 - 2 seconds then go off.

With the audio system off, turn the car to ACC then turn the system on - no sound whatsoever.

The navigation system voice does work when the ML system sound does not!

I pushed in the connector on the amp (RH side in the trunk?) and no luck. I could do a lot more if I know where to start. I hate to buy an amp when the problem may be something else a lot cheaper.

This car goes off lease in a few weeks and I need to fix if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I am afraid it's your amp. It would shut itself off when it detected overheating. Once it has cool down it would work again. There might be a short in the amp but I am no expert of it. Check all your speakers includes subwoofer, maybe one of them is shorted out and cause the amp to shut down.

I will check the speakers.

I thought it could be overheating of the amp. So I put some ice water in a ZipLock bag and placed it on top of the amp for about 30 minutes. When I turned on the CD, it played maybe a second or two longer.

The longer (days) you let the car set, the longer the CD will play. Use it every day and expect less than 5 minutes of speaker time.

Other thoughts?

• 16 years later...

actually, the question I think you’re looking for is what mutes the amplifier after it fires up mine plays for about two3 seconds and quits after turning on the ignition I can turn the ignition off and back on again and the musical play again for 2 to 3 seconds I hear a pop through the speakers. All speakers have been checked and worked perfect and hear the amplifier turn on, but do not hear the amplifier turn off. Is there a communication box between the radio and the amplifier with a digital mute line 

Edited by Ray sc