Ground Clearance Question

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Does anyone know how much 'ground clearance' a 1993 LS400 has?

And HOW - exactly - is 'ground clearance' measured?

I ask - because I'm somewhat confused. My NSX has a 'ground clearance' of 5.3". The LS400 [according to the only website I could find that said ANYTHING] has 6.9" of 'ground clearance'. [Which seems like an awful lot]

Now.... in the almost 11 years that I've owned my NSX - I have NEVER had a problem with speed bumps or anything else. Very occasionally [and I mean like once a year] the front end [the part below the bumper] will gently scrap the concrete on a steep driveway - but that's it. Now IF I lowered the LS400 by using Eibach springs - reducing my LS400's 'ground clearance' to 5.9" - why would I EVER hit ANYTHING? [given how infrequently it happens with my NSX]

Are you following any of this?

I suppose - what I need to know [before I get carried away with this thought] is the actual 'ground clearance' of my '93 LS. Do you know what it is?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Craig,

Man, these things are low, really low. If you lower it much you would just have to be really careful. I have dragged slightly on a couple of big humps. I guess I would just put on a little taller tire to compensate for the lower springs.

Hi Denny!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

I asked - because my LS is going in next Monday. The throttle body is going to be cleaned. [finally] But then - I've been 'here' before - so I'm taking it in with the, "I'll believe it when it's done" attitude. It's also possible that the GRV valve and Ignition coils will be replaced. But... like I said!! IF things work out as I hope - THEN I'll be focusing on getting new suspension parts. [struts - at least - but maybe new springs too, etc.]

As for YOUR LS. Does it have stock springs? And if so - could it be that the springs in your LS are starting to sag a bit? [Or were those pretty big humps!!] On my LS - the driver side is about an inch lower than the passenger side. Could mean it needs new coil springs - but what? OEM or Eibach? OR maybe the 'strut cushions' are squashed on the driver's side. Who knows. [Not ME - that's for sure!!]

Changing topics.... I notice you have a Chrysler 300 with a V6. How does your 300 compare power wise to your LS?! I love the 300. I just saw a beautiful 300C 'Heritage Edition' a few days ago. WOW!!

Thanks again,

to check the ride height you need to bounce the car a few times to let things settle and the get the ruler out. i cant post the pdf file but the front should be 9.29" or 236mm and rear should be 9.35" or 238mm. from the pic i think you measure from the lower control arm front and back to the ground.

Hi ko90ls!! :)

Thanks for the info.

9+ inches does seem awfully high though. I don't think even the Grand Cherokee has that much 'ground clearance'.

What I'm trying to find out is IF I lower my LS by 1" [using Eibach springs] will my LS still be have more ground clearance than my NSX [which has 5.3"] OR would it have LESS.

It depends ,how old is your suspension that you would be replacing ?

It is already sagging?

One thing that is good is that the front overhangs are very short so you will hit very little curbs going up them.

Hi SKperformance!! :)

I hope you're OK.

You make a very good point. The reason I'm seriously thinking of replacing the original springs is because the car sits almost a full inch lower on the driver's side. So MAYBE - with EIBACHS - only the height of the passenger's side will actually drop!! That wouldn't be so bad. In FACT - that would be GREAT!!

Good point about the front overhang - too.

So that all said... maybe what I SHOULD be asking is, "How many FINGERS can you fit between your tires and wheel wells?" On my car - I can easily rest three fingers on the passenger side tires and not even touch the well wells. [the fenders - or whatever that part of the car is called!! lol] On the driver's side - I often have a difficult time squeezing TWO fingers in.

Thanks!!