Clogged Catalytic Converter

I have a '95 GS300 and I recently went in for an inspection sticker. The car was rejected for emmissions and they said that there might be a clogged catalytic converter. I'm not exactly sure what would cause this to happen. I recently tuned-up the car. I'm wondering if my O2 sensors need changing, or if my fuel filter needs changing, or maybe someone has another idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. --T_bone

IF your Cat. was clogged I would think you would notice it. It does happen though. Your car would most likely not run right, would be down on power, not want to pull under high RPMS when driving around.

They can be hard to diagnose, but I thought that an Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor would be a clue as to whether it's clogged or not. I'm not completely sure about what an exhaust gas sniffer can tell. Wouldn't hurt to ask a Lexus Tech..... (just call them, or drive in!)

They can get clogged over time, or if the car ran rich for a long period of time before getting corrected/tuned up.

They should have given you a printout of your results, no? It should list where your car exceeded the limit. Like in Nitrogen oxides, or CO or something like that.

A good mechanic will know the key things that can cause one of those readings to be higher than normal.

get a motor vac

it is a high pressure cleaning solution added to the fuel rail to clean everything in the system

about $100

works great and almost any car will pass after

as it cleans the cat to almost new

by throwing unburnt fuel at it

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Come to think of it, the car has been a little sluggish lately, even in the low end. I drive in the city mostly, so sometimes its hard to pick up on these kinds of things. Thanks again. --T_bone

• 5 months later...

what is the motor vac? Where do they sale it at? Does it easy to use? I never heard of this but curious about it. My catalytic is red like Cherry after 5 mins engine starts. I just recently changed the driver side (catalytic converter) but now, both are red at the same time. I think it may be those gunk left inside the intake got clog up at catalytic after I spray the injection clean/throttle boddy cleaner solution in it. I saw there were a lot of gunk way inside wall of intake. Do you think motor vac will solve my problem instead of replace both catalytic?

• 2 weeks later...

A ferw months ago I have to place all my cats and 02 sensors because I toasted them.. The inside of the cats turned to ash and clogged everything up which inturn made my sensons burnup too.. And the car was only a year old.. Chubby, if your car is still under warranty have them replace the cats and see how the 02 sensors are..

MrSypher,

Did you replace cats and O2 sensors with Dealer parts? After replaced them, does your Engine light still on? I heard that OEM parts does report faulty Engine light.

I took the car to Dealer for Diagnostic check they found the problem with my Engine that cause the Cats to lite up. Lucky that I had never used the car with it Red cherry. The Meineke also took the cat apart and double check they kept suspect the problem was from the cats.

Lucky that the Cat is still warranty and dealer wanted to take a look at it before exchanged for a new one. They finally told me the problem causes from unburn gas that causes my both Cats to Red Cherry. Since I've never over used the car when it starts turning Red therefore, I did not damage the O/S and either Cats.

The dealer solved my problem without confirming my agreement, therefore, they are willing only charge for diagnostic $85 and $14 for parts. I am feeling great with the car now. It runs fine now. No more Engine light On. No more Red Cherry. Engine run much smoother now at start up.

MrSypher,

Did you replace cats and O2 sensors with Dealer parts? After replaced them, does your Engine light still on? I heard that OEM parts does report faulty Engine light.

I took the car to Dealer for Diagnostic check they found the problem with my Engine that cause the Cats to lite up. Lucky that I had never used the car with it Red cherry. The Meineke also took the cat apart and double check they kept suspect the problem was from the cats.

Lucky that the Cat is still warranty and dealer wanted to take a look at it before exchanged for a new one. They finally told me the problem causes from unburn gas that causes my both Cats to Red Cherry. Since I've never over used the car when it starts turning Red therefore, I did not damage the O/S and either Cats.

The dealer solved my problem without confirming my agreement, therefore, they are willing only charge for diagnostic $85 and $14 for parts. I am feeling great with the car now. It runs fine now. No more Engine light On. No more Red Cherry. Engine run much smoother now at start up.

Chubs,

Glad to see your problem got fixed..

As for your questions, my dealer replaced both cats and 02 sensors with factory parts.. And no my engine light does not go on anymore.. But I only had the car back from the dealer for like a month before it was crashed.. But I had my car running real rich, and that's why they burnt up like that.. I jst hope it doesn't happen again.. It's just a plain in the butt to keep on having to bring my car to Lexus every few weeks.. Lucky for me I go there so much that I'm cool with the right people and everything is covered by my warranty..