Hi, A friend of mine with a Mazda 3 found instructions in a Mazda forum of how to hard wire an mp3 player (or basically anything that can plug into a headphone jack) to your car....

Basically it told him to cut the headphones of the end of a wire, and solder that to the connection between the CD changer, and the head unit. Once that is done, all you have to do is play a CD of blank noise, and then when you plug in the mp3 player, and play the blank CD, it overlaps the music from the mp3 over the blank signal from the CD changer.

Anyone ever do this with a GS? or have any other suggestions of how to hard wire an mp3 player?

I have a 2000 GS400 w/GPS

Thanks.

Hi, A friend of mine with a Mazda 3 found instructions in a Mazda forum of how to hard wire an mp3 player (or basically anything that can plug into a headphone jack) to your car....

Basically it told him to cut the headphones of the end of a wire, and solder that to the connection between the CD changer, and the head unit. Once that is done, all you have to do is play a CD of blank noise, and then when you plug in the mp3 player, and play the blank CD, it overlaps the music from the mp3 over the blank signal from the CD changer.

Anyone ever do this with a GS? or have any other suggestions of how to hard wire an mp3 player?

Thanks.

I'm using the cassette adapter from my XM radio, and it actually sounds pretty good. Just have to remember not to overdrive the adapter, that is, play the iPod at medium levels and control the volume with the head unit. If you overdrive the adapter, you get distortion which not only sounds terrible but can destroy speakers.

The cassette adapter sounds better than the FM transmitters, but, of course, not as good as a direct connection to some AUX input (which my NAV 2000 GS400 does not have). Sometimes I wish I did not have the NAV unit, but had a nice double DIN DVD NAV with iPod/AUX input...

I installed the sound linq ipod interface in my 2006 GS430. It hooks to the back of the oem/nav system. I'm not sure about an older model GS but should work. It sounds just like a CD and you get the titles on the display. Hope this helps.

I installed the sound linq ipod interface in my 2006 GS430. It hooks to the back of the oem/nav system. I'm not sure about an older model GS but should work. It sounds just like a CD and you get the titles on the display. Hope this helps.

I just bought asn installed the SoundLinq myself as well. It's not perfect in terms of UI, but the sound is great. Before that, I was using a tape adapter. No matter how good you think the sound is from the tape adapter, it's literally CD quality using the SoundLinq. $300 very worthwhile dollars.

• 1 month later...

A much more simpler way to do this (but sound quality may be different, depending on stations) is a wireless FM transmitter. Plug that into ur mp3, find a station that isn't being used, and set ur radio and transmitter to that station. ;) B)

A much more simpler way to do this (but sound quality may be different, depending on stations) is a wireless FM transmitter. Plug that into ur mp3, find a station that isn't being used, and set ur radio and transmitter to that station. ;) B)

If I have 1998 GS400, is the FM transmitter my only option? The SoundLinq looks like its for 2001+...

• 3 months later...

Cheeto,

Did you try this Mazda mp3 option? How did it come out? I just bought a 2000 GS300 and I'm looking for a better solution than I was using in my Mercedes (FM Transmitter)....

Thanks,

Jason