Gs 400 98 Subwoofer Upgrade

Hello,

I just recently purchased a gs400 where the previous owner had a subwoofer installed. He removed for the sale of the vehicle but I requested that he leave all the amp hook ups.

My plan is to get a sealed subwoofer enclosure with a decent setup and remove the factory nakamichi subwoofer for a port for sound to travel through. I'm hoping that if the sealed enclosure box size is big enough that I could achieve a bandpass affect with the removal of the Naki sub.

Another possible route I could take is leaving the stock Naki sub in, installing a bandpass boxed sub and powering both with and aftermarket amp.

One currently unsolved mystry that I have is whether I will have to use a Line input converter or I will beable to simply locate the preamp to the subwoofer relativly close to the trunk.

Hello,

I just recently purchased a gs400 where the previous owner had a subwoofer installed. He removed for the sale of the vehicle but I requested that he leave all the amp hook ups.

My plan is to get a sealed subwoofer enclosure with a decent setup and remove the factory nakamichi subwoofer for a port for sound to travel through. I'm hoping that if the sealed enclosure box size is big enough that I could achieve a bandpass affect with the removal of the Naki sub.

Another possible route I could take is leaving the stock Naki sub in, installing a bandpass boxed sub and powering both with and aftermarket amp.

One currently unsolved mystry that I have is whether I will have to use a Line input converter or I will beable to simply locate the preamp to the subwoofer relativly close to the trunk.

Keep in mind, to get good sound, it's best to put in a new deck. Factory sound just doesnt cut it. I just put a double din Alpine touch screen DVD player in and the quality of the factory speakers improved. I put 1 JL 13 inch w7 in the trunk and removed the stock sub in the rear and used it as a port. It's really worth the time/money to just take it out and use it as a port for the speaker in the trunk, considering the trunk room. Where the sub used to be acts as a direct port for the car and it sounds great. Considering it's one of the best subs money can buy. Take the time/money to go to a good car audio shop (not bestbuy, circuit city, or other chain) and keep your car the best of the best. You'll get enough sound from a bandpass box in your trunk, save the energy from your amp and power the box rather than "wasting" power for the additional sub in your stock location. You wont be disapointed with the results if you get good subs in your trunk. Just my .02!

The easiest question is what do you want to acheive?

Loudness or sound quality or just a little more bump?

Price range and is trunk space an issue for you?

If you haven't done anything yet.......

I did the same thing.

I like the sound of the factory system , but it didn't have enough umph !

I added a sealed Clarion Box with 2-12" subs and amp.

It really brought the system to life

I know there is a lot better out there but for under $500.00 it was the perfect solution for me.

Dukabor.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest question is what do you want to acheive?

Loudness or sound quality or just a little more bump?

Price range and is trunk space an issue for you?

If you haven't done anything yet.......

I did the same thing.

I like the sound of the factory system , but it didn't have enough umph !

I added a sealed Clarion Box with 2-12" subs and amp.

It really brought the system to life

I know there is a lot better out there but for under $500.00 it was the perfect solution for me.

Dukabor.

Dukabor,

I'm currently mapping out a new sound system. I like your idea of adding the sub box & amp only.

Did you change out the deck? What brand amp did you go with? I have an 05 GS and the factory Mark Levinson speakers are sweet but I want a little more bass without losing the quality of the stock ML speakers. I am defenitely changing my deck. I chose the Eclipse avn5435.